What if I have a complaint?

Feedback is very important as it helps to improve the service provided by the barrister, their chambers or staff. Sometimes there may be a need to air a concern. Our advice is to raise it directly and promptly with the barrister you have instructed. Barristers who practice from a set of chambers will also have a chambers complaints policy.

If you are not satisfied with the service of your barrister or 3PB, you should first refer the matter to chambers in line with 3PB's complaints policy.

If you are not happy with the barrister’s or Chambers’ reply then you can contact the Legal Ombudsman (as long as you complain to the Legal Ombudsman within 12 months of discovering that there was a problem).

The contact details are as follows:

Office of the Legal Ombudsman
3rd Floor
Sunlight House
Quay Street
M3 3JZ

Email: iso@olso.gsi.gov.uk
Phone: 0161 839 7262
Lo-call no: 0845 601 0794 (charged at local rates - available nationally)

The Bar Standards Board also offers guidance about how to make a complaint about a barrister .

The Legal Obudsman's decisions can be viewed here.