Alex is a specialist family lawyer who accepts instructions in all areas of family law as well as in proceedings in the Court of Protection. Alex is committed to providing the best possible service to his clients and is sensitive to the difficult issues which arise in the family courts. Alex is committed to trying to achieve the best outcome for his clients, whether this is through negotiation in the early stages of proceedings or through contested hearings where matters are not agreed
Add this expertise to your shortlist
Children Act Applications
Alex’s main interest is in public and private law Children Act applications, where he has developed solid experience representing a diverse range of clients through all stages of proceedings.
Alex is regularly instructed by Local Authorities, parents, children, extended family members and interveners in public law children matters at all stages of proceedings. In particular, he has experience of acting in the following circumstances:
- Emergency contested applications where a Local Authority seeks the removal of a child.
- Complex fact-finding hearings where sexual, physical or emotional abuse is alleged.
- Cases where non-accidental injuries are suspected.
- Cases concerning alleged neglect.
- Contested Placement Order and Adoption Proceedings.
- Special Guardianship and Wardship applications.
- Cases with an international dimension.
- Cases concerning parents or children with Special Educational Needs, cognitive impairment or capacity issues
- Cases where drug and alcohol abuse or mental health concerns are a significant issue.
- Secure Accommodation Orders.
Alex is regularly instructed in Child Arrangement matters and endeavours to see cases from first appointment to final hearing. He is very sensitive to issues of domestic abuse and has been recommended by domestic abuse charities to represent vulnerable clients. He has solid experience in these matters including:
- Intractable disputes between parents regarding where a child should live or how often they should see the parent they are not living with.
- Fact finding hearings including where allegations of domestic violence and sexual or physical abuse are alleged.
- Cases with significant social work involvement.
- Case with an international dimension including relocation and abduction.
Alex accepts instructions in financial claims following the breakdown of marriage and has experience of acting for clients at every stage of proceedings including contested final hearings.
Private Remote FDR Hearings
Alex is available for private remote FDR hearings. For more information on private remote FDR hearings please click here.
Court of Protection
Alex accepts instructions in Court of Protection matters concerning the welfare of people who lack capacity. He has experience of acting for local authorities, including at final hearings.
Notable recent cases:
Re V : Represented an intervenor in a 10 day fact finding hearing in care proceedings where his client was in a pool of perpetrators in relation to a skull fracture sustained by a 3 month old baby.
Re C : Represented a client in care proceedings in a complex fact-finding hearing where the historic sexual abuse and rape of a child was alleged. The case involved complex and sensitive medical evidence, police evidence where there were significant issues with the ABE process and psychological evidence. In addition, the child was required to give evidence and questions prepared for his cross-examination.
Re A : Represented a mother at a final hearing where the local authority were seeking to place a baby for adoption. Successfully argued that further assessment was necessary.
Re W and Re S : Represented two different mothers in private law proceedings where they had alleged significant domestic violence. Successfully pursued findings on their behalf and dealt with the welfare issues that arose from the findings.
Re W : Represented a father in a fact-finding hearing in private law proceedings where the mother made allegations domestic abuse and rape.
- BVC (BPP Law School 2008-9) - Very Competent
- GDL - (BPP Law School - 2007-8) - Commendation
- Master of Theology, MA (Hons) History (University of Edinburgh) 2:1
Alex Hodge is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
3PB reviews the Family Courts during lockdown in Family Law Week
3PB’s specialist family law barrister Alex Hodge has reviewed the fairness of a judicial system in which hearings are conducted remotely in an article just pu...Read more