Andrew is an established family law practitioner on the London and Western circuits with wide experience in all areas concerning children, both public and private law, financial issues on separation and divorce, and domestic violence. Andrew is also fluent in Spanish.
Add this expertise to your shortlist
Andrew acts in the full range of financial applications arising out of the breakdown of relationships between married and unmarried couples including:
- Financial orders under s25 of the Matrimonial Causes Ac t 1973
- Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996
- Interlocutory applications for maintenance pending suit and s37 injunctions to prevent dissipation and to recover hidden assets
- Transfer of tenancy
- Overseas assets
- Third parties, usually in-laws, intervening in ancillary relief proceedings
- Applications for provision for children under the Children Act 1989 Sch 1; Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act 1975.
Andrew is instructed in cases involving the full range of child arrangements including where the child lives and how much time the child spends with each parent, prohibited steps and specific issue orders, removal of children from the jurisdiction, abduction and financial applications for children. He deals with domestic violence, emotional, physical and sexual abuse allegations, and has acted in cases involving parents, the children themselves, grandparents, step-parents and transgender applicants.
Andrew also deals with cases that have an international dimension, and wardship.
Andrew is instructed by local authorities, respondents (both parents and grandparents) and children’s guardians in public law cases. He deals with cases involving significant harm from neglect and failure to protect through to severe emotional abuse causing psychological damage to children, as well as cases of serious physical harm (such as alleged shaken baby cases) and sexual abuse of children (level 5 on the Copine scale).
He is regularly instructed in cases involving parents with mental health difficulties, including Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome (Factitious Disorder by Proxy) and paranoid schizophrenia, personality disorders and severe learning disability. As well as parents who have criminal convictions for serious offences of violence, including sexual assault and murder. Andrew is also instructed by applicants for special guardianship orders and adoption.
He is instructed by both applicants and respondents in applications for injunctions under the Family Law Act 1996 and committal proceedings. He has also dealt with associated
applications for financial orders within Family Law Act proceedings.
Court of Protection
Andrew brings to his Court of Protection work over twenty years experience of cases involving vulnerable adults with the full range of mental health issues, including those lacking capacity, in the family courts, and ten years representing in-patients in Mental Health Tribunals. This work has been enhanced by his outside interest as a former Vice-Chair of Wandsworth Mind, a mental health charity. He regularly advises and represents clients in cases involving family property disputes.
- D (a child)  EWCA Civ 315 – the only Court of Appeal case on the termination of parental responsibility
- GW v MW  EWFC 56 – concerned the enforceability of consent orders granting
temporary removal from the jurisdiction.
- BA (Hons)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Law (University of Westminster)
- BVQ (now called the BPTC)
- Family Law Bar Association
- Court of Protection Practitioners Association (CoPPA)
Andrew Lorie is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
Andrew Lorie led by Ruth Henke QC on a finding fact hearing concerning the poisoning of a small child
3PB Family Barrister Andrew Lorie was led by Ruth Henke QC on the reported finding fact hearing Re: R-T. The case, before HHJ Moradifar, arose following the ho...Read more