Gemma has been practising in general crime across the Western Circuit and has recently completed her LLM in Sports Law and Practice at De Montfort University, Leicester (with Distinction).
She previously worked for the Crown Prosecution Service in-house, where she successfully completed pupillage. Gemma left the CPS in 2013 to come to the independent bar, where she has continued to prosecute for the CPS, HMRC, DWP, and the probation service as well as successfully developing a defence practice.
Gemma is passionate about sport and has begun to develop her practice in this niche area.
Add this expertise to your shortlist
Gemma has been practising in general crime across the Western Circuit since graduating from university in 2007. She worked for the Crown Prosecution Service in-house, where she successfully completed pupillage. She left the CPS in 2013 to come to the independent bar, where she has continued to prosecute for the CPS, HMRC, DWP, and the probation service as well as successfully developing a defence practice.
Prior to qualification, Gemma worked for a Local Authority in child protection, and as such has a particularly good rapport with young and vulnerable people, something which she uses to ensure witnesses give their best evidence and to make them feel as comfortable as possible with the court process. Given the current emphasis on handling young and vulnerable witnesses these skills ensure Gemma is able to deal with the most sensitive of cases.
Gemma’s experience working for the CPS has provided her with a deep understanding of criminal procedure and her practice encompasses the full range of offences including complex drugs conspiracies, fraud and money laundering, serious violence and public order. She has prosecuted and defended in sexual offences and is keen to develop this area further. Her practice is predominantly in the Crown Court and has particular emphasis on cases with young or vulnerable witnesses.
Gemma has experience of dealing with complex disclosure issues and Public Interest Immunity and is regularly instructed in cases involving Confiscation under the Proceeds of Crime Act. She has experience representing the police in civil proceedings in applications for Sexual Harm Prevention Orders and Sexual Risk Orders; she has trained ACPO on Domestic Violence Protection Orders.
- Operation Pretty (2016-2017) - Magic Network- prosecuting Counsel multi-handed conspiracy to supply Class A drugs and associated Money Laundering Offences
- Kane Network - prosecuting Counsel supply Class A drugs
- Scouse Network - Junior Prosecuting Counsel (led by Jodie Mittell) Eight handed conspiracy to supply Class A drugs and associated Money Laundering
- R v S (2017) Newport (IOW) Crown Court. Eight count indictment- conspiracy to supply drugs and possession with intent to supply at Bestival (Class A/B/C) Defence Counsel; suspended sentence
- R v G & W (2017) Southampton Crown Court- Conspiracy to Supply Class B. Prosecuting Trial Counsel
- R v N & P (2017) Swindon Crown Court- possession with intent to supply Class A/B/C
Prosecuting Trial Counsel
- R v H & ors (2017) Southampton Crown Court- Conspiracy to Supply Class A
- R v R (2017)- Newport (IOW) Crown Court. Possession of Pyschoactive Substances at Bestival (new legislation) Defence Counsel
- R v W & ors (2016) Bournemouth Crown Court: Prosecution Counsel in multi-handed cross county Class A drug supply case where significant custodial sentence handed down.
- R v W (2017) Southampton Crown Court: Child Cruelty and Assault- Allegation of physical abuse with multiple weapons made by child against mother over sustained period of time. Involved cross examination of vulnerable complainant - Defence Trial Counsel
- R v H (2017) Bournemouth Crown Court. Wounding with intent (s.18 OAPA)- Prosecuting Counsel where Defendant not fit to plead and s.41 restriction order under MHA imposed
- R v G (2017) Bournemouth Crown Court- Arson and Aggravated Stalking (domestic violence)- Prosecuting Counsel
- R v S & ors (2017) Southampton Crown Court- multi-handed affray in middle of Southampton City Centre during the middle of the day- Defence Counsel- suspended sentence imposed
- R v B (2017) Salisbury Crown Court - Arson
- R v W (2017) Salisbury Crown Court- GBH (vulnerable victim sustained broken jaw in several places) - Defendant received suspended sentence. Defence Counsel
- R v B & ors (2017) Bournemouth Crown Court. Multi-handed affray involving attack on vulnerable persons with multiple weapons including stun-gun. Prosecuting Trial Counsel
- R v M (2016) Child Cruelty and ABH- allegations of physical abuse against father by 6-year-old child- Case involved sensitive witness handling - Prosecuting Trial Counsel
- R v S (2016) Portsmouth Crown Court- s.20 GBH where victim pushed down flight of stairs received considerable life altering injuries and in coma for several months. Prosecuting Counsel
- R v S (2016) Winchester Crown Court. Wounding With Intent (s.18 OAPA) where victim repeatedly stabbed with various knives in his own home. Defence Trial Counsel
- R v S (2015) Swindon Crown Court: serious assault involving concrete block repeatedly used to strike victim to the head- Defendant prosecuted twice for the same violent behaviour. Case raised issues of abuse of process, autrefois convict and judicial review
- R v H  Newport (IOW) Crown Court: prosecuting counsel in case of obstructing a coroner/ perverting the course of justice and drugs supply where the Defendant had dumped and abandoned the body of his friend on the street following an overdose.
- R v G (2017) Southampton Crown Court. Series of knife-point robberies committed by 14 year old (vulnerable Defendant) Defence Counsel - non custodial sentence imposed
- R v B & O (2017) Portsmouth Crown Court. Multiple Count Indictment series of machete point robberies on taxi drivers. Prosecuting Trial Counsel
- R v I,M,G and ors (2016) Southampton Crown Court - seven handed conspiracy to steal involving over £100,000 of undelivered good from delivery company. Prosecuting Counsel
- R v D and ors (2016) Portsmouth Crown Court- conspiracy to possess Counterfeit currency – Defence Counsel- successful dismissal application
- R v E & ors (2015) Dorchester Crown Court: multi-handed Aggravated Burglary involving Defendants breaking into address and assaulting occupants with a baseball bat causing significant injuries. Defendant received suspended sentence. Defence Counsel
- R v G  Salisbury Crown Court: Robbery. Victim severely disabled with mental age of a 4 year old; required extremely careful cross examination. Defence counsel - defendant acquitted
- R v W, S, M  Southampton Crown Court: Prosecuting Counsel in multi-handed robbery of a victim who suffered from Asperger’s and who had been robbed/ beaten up whilst fleeing the scene of another robbery.
- R v T (2017) Portsmouth Crown Court: inciting a child into sexual activity. Instructed Defence Counsel
- R v M (2017) Bournemouth Crown Court: Sexual Assault- Prosecuting Counsel
- R v E (2017) Southampton Crown Court; Indecent Images- Defendant in possession of and distributing close to 1 million images across all categories - Defence Counsel- suspended sentence imposed
- R v P  Portsmouth Crown Court: Prosecuting Counsel in Sexual Assault where the complainant had learning difficulties and significant vulnerabilities.
Add this expertise to your shortlist
Gemma is passionate about sport and has begun to develop her practice in this niche area. She has completed a Masters Degree in Sports Law and Practice at De Montfort University and is a member of the British Association of Sport and the Law. Gemma has written sports law articles published by LawinSport.
She has particular experience in disciplinary matters and has advised governing bodies; she has advised a local FA on diverse Equality Act matters, including ethics, safeguarding and transgender policy. She has experience of anti-doping and has appeared before the UK national anti doping Tribunal; she acted pro bono on behalf of an athlete in the first contested anti-doping case under the revised 2015 WADA Code.
Gemma is keen to continue to develop her practice in all areas of sports law and accepts instructions across the board in regulatory and commercial cases.
2nd Sep 2016
The Best of intentions: what Best v. BHA has taught us about appearance of bias & sufficiency of reasons by Gemma White
Add this expertise to your shortlist
Gemma has significant experience defending and prosecuting trading standards cases. Gemma enjoys the variety that comes with niche regulatory criminal matters, and accepts instructions across all areas of regulatory offences. Her meticulous and analytical approach provides a solid foundation for dealing with all complex and technical criminal offences alleged against individuals and corporate bodies. Her particular areas of expertise include:
- Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations
- Planning Prosecutions including Environmental, Town and Country Planning and Housing Act offences
- Animal Welfare
- Health and Safety including Fire Safety
- Food Hygiene.
Recent Cases of Note:
- R (Oxfordshire County Council) v Valaitis
- R (Hampshire County Council) v Connors  Southampton Crown Court: Prosecution Counsel in ‘rogue trader’ ‘dodgy driveways’ case involving defendant targeting vulnerable consumer’s at their home addresses. Multiple offences of fraud and breach of consumer protection regulations on the indictment
- R (Wiltshire County Council) v Ward  Swindon Crown Court: Defence Counsel in ‘rouge trader’ ‘dodgy driveways’ case where the Defendant faced an indictment alleging fraud and breach of consumer protection regulations against vulnerable elderly victims- Defendant pleaded guilty to lesser offences upon advice and received a sentence that did not involve immediate imprisonment
- R (Crawley Borough Council) v Wiltshire & Rowe  Chichester Crown Court: Prosecution Counsel in breach of Tree Preservation Order prosecution, where numerous large trees were cut down by the owner’s and planning agents so as to facilitate large scale housing development which increased the value of the land by hundreds of thousands of pounds
- R (West Sussex Counry Council) v Dixey, Future Homes Energy Ltd and Nationwide Renewables Ltd  Lewes Crown Court- prosecution counsel in a nationwide fraud involving 100+ consumers, many of which were vulnerable. The case involved linked investigations between the police and the Trading Standards department, with 3 indictments spanning 30 counts of fraud and breach of consumer protection regulations and a Confiscation figure of three quarters of a million pound. Local press report here
- R (Portsmouth City Council) v R  Portsmouth Crown Court: Prosecuting Counsel in prosecution of unlicensed tattoo artist for tattooing a 13 year old; convicted of Assault occasioning Actual Bodily harm and sentenced to a suspended sentence; the case was widely reported in the press locally, nationally in the Mirror, nationally and internationally in the New York Daily News.
- LLB Law with French (Hons) 2.1 - University of the West of England, Bristol
- Certificate in European Political Studies - Université de Robert Schuman, Strasbourg
- Bar Vocational Course (Very Competent) BPP Holborn
- LLM Sports Law and Practice (Distinction) - De Montfort University Leicester
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Grade 2 Prosecutor
- British Association for Sport and Law (BASL)
- Criminal Bar Association
- Western Circuit
- Inn: Inner Temple
Gemma White is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
3PB Silk duo Nigel Lickley QC and Adam Feest QC lead five 3PB junior barristers in high profile Dorset murder case
Murder of Guy Hedger. Two men were jailed for life today (23 January) following convictions for murder after an eight week trial at Winchester Crown Court. Se...Read more
3PB Head of Sports Louis Weston and Sports barrister Gemma White highlight key 2018 Sports Law issues for LawInSport
Sports barristers Louis Weston and Gemma White have this year again participated in LawInSport’s 2018 key sports issues survey. Praising whistleblowers and th...Read more
3PB crime barristers Gemma White and Jodie Mittell in multi-million pound cocaine conspiracy
Gemma White was instructed to prosecute in a multi-handed drugs conspiracy which arose from Operation Operative involving a complex investigation run by a major...Read more