Faizul Azman reviews Angard Staffing Solutions Limited and anor v Kocur and anor on the interpretation of regulation 13(1) of the Agency Workers Regulations 2010 – the right to be informed of a relevant vacant post with the hirer, and to give that agency worker the same opportunity as a comparable worker to find permanent employment with the hirer.
Faizul Azman is a commercial and intellectual property law barrister. He operates from our London office.
Faizul has an unconventional background for a barrister having served in the British Army and Civil Service prior to joining chambers.
During his Civil Service career, Faizul was a Senior Policy Advisor in the Copyright and Enforcement Directorate at the UK Intellectual Property Office. He managed and developed the UK’s copyright exceptions policy, responded to copyright enquiries, met stakeholders and drafted briefs to senior government ministers and officials.
Faizul also represented the UK at the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights at the World Intellectual Property Organisation in Geneva, and at the EU working groups in Brussels to negotiate the legal text of a Directive and Regulation to implement the Marrakesh Treaty into EU and UK Law. Faizul left the Civil Service as an Assistant Director at the Home Office leading on the Northern Ireland EU Exit Strategy.
Faizul’s unique experience puts him in a position to not only advise on the law, but also reputational risks for his clients. His experience also gives him an understanding of the interplay between national and international legal frameworks which brings a further layer of expertise.
Faizul is a busy member of the Attorney General’s ‘Junior Juniors Scheme’ to the Crown and has been instructed on some high-profile matters.
Add this expertise to your shortlist
Faizul Azman is regularly instructed in a broad range of Commercial Law matters. He provides advice, drafts pleadings, and represents clients in litigation at both interlocutory and final hearings. Faizul’s commercial practice focusses on the following areas:
- Breach of contract
- Misrepresentation, undue influence & duress
- Supply of goods and services
- Director/Shareholder disputes
- Professional liability
- Intellectual Property
- Non-Contentious – Corporate Governance Structures
Faizul’s recent commercial work includes:
- Successfully striking out a Defence to a £90,000 claim
- Drafting pleadings for force majeure/frustration of contract, and successfully obtaining a settlement worth 90% of the claim after a wedding was cancelled due to the Pandemic
- Advising on the merits of bringing a claim for breach of contract against an independent school when the Government closed schools because of the Pandemic
- Advising on the merits of bringing a claim for misrepresentation against a property developer
- Advising on the merits of resisting an appeal where the court had made overlapping and contradictory Orders following an Order of Sale
- Advising and drafting a Defence following a claim for a right to reject a motorhome worth £50,000 under the Consumer Rights Act 2015
- Advising on the merits of bringing a professional liability claim against a Trade Union on behalf of a university lecturer
- Advising on the corporate governance structure of a public body
Add this expertise to your shortlist
Faizul Azman accepts instructions on a broad range of Intellectual Property matters. He provides advice, drafts pleadings, and represents clients in litigation at both interlocutory and final hearings.
Faizul’s Intellectual Property practice focuses on the following areas:
- Trade Marks
- Passing Off
Prior to joining Chambers, Faizul was a Senior Policy Advisor in the Copyright and Enforcement Directorate at the UK Intellectual Property Office. He managed and developed the UK’s copyright exceptions policy, responded to copyright enquiries, met stakeholders and drafted briefs to senior government ministers and officials.
Faizul also represented the UK at the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights at the World Intellectual Property Organisation in Geneva, and at the EU working groups in Brussels to negotiate the legal text of a Directive and Regulation to implement the Marrakesh Treaty into EU and UK Law.
Faizul’s overlapping practice in Commercial Law and former practice in Employment Law matters complements his Intellectual Property practice.
The interpretation of Regulation 13(1) AWR 2010: the rights of agency workers to apply for job opportunities11th Jan 2021
Gassa & Anor, R (on the application of) v Richmond Independent Appeals Service & Anor  EWHC 957 (Admin) (22 April 2020)12th May 2020
Faizul Azman summarises R (Gassa and another) v Richmond Independent Appeals Service and another: a new authority on school admissions which contains some interesting obiter observations on the effect of remittal to a new panel following a successful judicial review.
Injunction to prevent a breach of mutual trust and confidence1st May 2020
SMO v Hywel Dda University Health Board  EWHC 727 (QB)
The Court found in favour of the claimant, a consultant surgeon, to restrain the defendant from continuing a working relationships investigation into his alleged conduct, competence or behaviour, whilst carrying out disciplinary proceedings in parallel.
“… he was excellent, and the help he provided assisted greatly in a positive result. His notes were excellent and his involvement during the hearing cross checking etc under considerable pressure was well beyond which you would expect from his level of qualification” - Partner (Solicitor)
“… Overall, my experience of instructing Faizul has been very positive, and I did seek to instruct him again, though he was unavailable on this occasion… I look forward to instructing him again” - Solicitor
“… As soon as we spoke, I realised I was in exactly in the right hands. You did a great job putting me at ease even with the tech issues I was having. You must have been told before that you have a great bedside manner. Thank you so much for getting me over the final hurdle with such a great result… If the opportunity to recommend you ever comes my way I most definitely will” - Lay Client
“… All in all, the service he provided was excellent and I would have no qualms about using Faizul again, or recommending his services” - Local Authority
“Notwithstanding the result, my clients were very impressed with Mr Azman” - Solicitor
“A great result” - Solicitor
- LLB (Hons) Law Accelerated Route – 2:1
- BPTC (The University of Law, London) – Very Competent
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Scholarship, Major Award, Middle Temple
- Constitutional and Administrative Law Bar Association (ALBA)
- Education Law Association (ELA)