Victoria is an Intellectual Property specialist. She began her career as a tenant at Hogarth Chambers and then in 2007 moved in-house to work at Wiggin LLP. She joined 3PB in 2009.
Victoria has a strong reputation in trade mark and passing off matters and is regularly involved in notable cases before the UKIPO, IPEC and Chancery Division of the High Court. Her practice also includes design right, copyright and breach of confidence.
Add this expertise to your shortlist
“She is unfailingly commercial and is very clear and thorough in her advice and drafting.”
“Vicky is both knowledgeable and personable. She is a pleasure to work with.”
“She is commercially astute and quick to get to the heart of the issue.”
Chambers UK 2021/Intellectual Property – The Regions (Bar) – Band 1
Victoria is an Intellectual Property specialist. Her practice covers all aspects of trade marks, passing off, designs, copyright and breach of confidence. She has extensive experience in the Chancery Division, IPEC, UKIPO and EUIPO including applications for interim relief.
Victoria is particularly well-known for her expertise in trade mark and passing off matters. She has acted for many well-known brands including Jaguar Land Rover, Victoria’s Secret, Les Boys Les Girls, The Wave, British Gymnastics and The Royal Mint. She also represents many small and medium size enterprises and regularly appears before the IPEC and UKIPO.
In addition to her general practice, Victoria regularly gives seminars and webinars on specialist topics. As well as an annual 3PB Intellectual Property Seminar, she provides lectures and webinars to individual law firms, to CITMA and is a speaker at White Paper conferences.
- British Amateur Gymnastics Association v UK Gymnastics Ltd & Ors  EWHC 1678 (IPEC). Following a 2 day hearing in March, HHJ Melissa Clarke sitting as an Enterprise Judge in the IPEC, handed down a 66 page judgment finding in British Gymnastics’ favour on every count of registered trade mark infringement and passing off.
- Zenith Logistics Services (UK) Ltd and others v Coury  EWHC 774 (QB)
Victoria Jones appeared before the QBD in a successful appeal against a Master’s decision refusing to approve a Tomlin Order with a schedule containing confidential terms on the basis that it was contrary to the principles of open justice.
- Gabriel Alvardo v Karl Johnson - RESLOSOUND (O/619/17): UKIPO O/619/17, 19 June 2018 - successful appeal to the Appointed Person against decision of Hearing Officer under rule 38(6) TMR 2008 to refuse late admission of TM8 due to registrant suffering depression
- ‘The Colour Orange, Pantone 1595C’ Trade Mark Application: UKIPO O/433/18, 17 July 2018 - Opposition proceedings relating to acquired distinctiveness
- ‘Loch’ and ‘Cloch’ Trade Mark Applications: UKIPO O/431/18, 16 July 2018 - Consolidated opposition proceedings
- Country Cars of Bristol Ltd v (1) County Cars (SW) Ltd (2) Carl Wayne Sparey (t/a County Cars) (2018) LTL 22/3/2018 Extempore
- Student Union Lettings Ltd v Essex Student Lets Ltd  EWHC 419 (IPEC)
- Coreix Ltd v Coretx Holdings Plc & 8 ors  EWHC 1695 (IPEC)
- Royal Mint Ltd v Commonwealth Mint & Philatelic Bureau Ltd  EWHC 417 (Ch)
- George East Housewares Ltd v Fackelmann GMBH & Co KG and another  EWHC 2476 (IPEC)
- 'SOLISPOST’ Trade Mark: BL O/234/26, 12 May 2016 – Invalidity proceedings based upon prior rights and bad faith
- (1) OOO Abbott (2) Godfrey Victor Chasmer v (1) Econowall UK Ltd (2) Project Consulting & Construction Ltd (3) Smith Brewer Ltd (4) Retail Display Connections Ltd  EWHC 660 (IPEC)
- Jonathan Malcolm-Green v And So To Bed Ltd  EWHC 4016 (IPEC)
- Earthworks Environment Ltd v Beale (QBD) LTL 1/3/2013
- National Guild of Removers and Storers Ltd v Alliance Removals and Storers Ltd and Barrett (September 2011- Patents County Court)
- Redwood Tree Services Ltd v Warren Aspey t/a Redwood Tree Surgeons  EWPCC 014
- Freshtime UK Ltd v Wayne  EWHC 3639 (Ch)
- PPL v Gough  All ER (D) 255 (Oct)
- Coty Prestige Lancaster Group GmbH and Anor v Beauty Collection (London) Ltd  EWHC 3087 (Ch);  All ER (D) 388
Victoria shall be speaking at the 2021 White Paper Trade Mark Law Conference – details shall be published shortly.
The protection of shapes in 2020: Trade Marks, Copyright & IPR Cumulation3rd Nov 2020
The protection of shapes in 2020: Trade Marks, Copyright & IPR Cumulation - Victoria Jones considers the following cases:
On trade marks
- Freixenet SA v OHIM C-344/10 and C-345/10  ECR I-10205 on Inherent Distinctiveness
- Windsurfing Chiemsee Produktions v Boots C-108/97 and C-109/97 on Acquired distinctiveness
- The London Taxi Corporation Ltd v Frazer-Nash Research Ltd & Anr  EWCA Civ 1729
- Jaguar Land Rover Limited v Ineos Industries Holdings Limited  EWHC 2130 (Ch)
- Gömböc: C-237/19
- Cofemel v G-Star Raw CV C-683/17
- Brompton Bicycle Ltd v Chedech/Get2Get C-833/18
- Response Clothing v Edinburgh Woollen Mill Limited  EWHC 148 (IPEC)
Talented and experienced junior who specialises in trade mark and passing off disputes, on behalf of premium clientele. Market sources praise her courtroom presence and her expert advice.
Strengths: "She is unfailingly commercial and is very clear and thorough in her advice and drafting." "Vicky is both knowledgeable and personable. She is a pleasure to work with." "She is commercially astute and quick to get to the heart of the issue."
Recent work: Represented Wavescapes as the claimant in IPEC proceedings for trade mark infringement and passing off.
Chambers UK 2021/Intellectual Property - The Regions (Bar) - Band 1
‘Extremely strong technically, commercial and has excellent attention to detail. She is a first point of call for all complex soft IP disputes.’
Legal 500 2021/Intellectual Property/Leading Juniors/Tier 4/London
Strengths: "Victoria is my first choice for all contentious trade mark matters. She is personable and friendly, with a formidable understanding of IP law and practice and an ability to explain complex issues in plain English." "She is unfailingly approachable, commercially minded, and her wide experience enables her to always provide added value over and above the specific advice she is being asked to give."
Recent work: Acted for Jaguar Land Rover in a trade mark infringement and passing-off action against Christopher Ward London involving the use of signs which were allegedly identical or similar to its JAGUAR and D-TYPE trade marks.
Chambers UK 2020/Intellectual Property - The Regions (Bar) - Band 1
‘She has particular expertise in trade mark and passing off litigation.'
Legal 500 2020/Intellectual Property - London
'Victoria Jones is highlighted for her specialisation in trademark, passing off and online enforcement matters and for the commercial and pragmatic way in which she approaches complex cases.'
World Trademark Review 1000 2019/Junior Counsel, intellectual property
'She is an all-round star: user friendly, inspires confidence and offers great tactical input.'
Legal 500 2018/19/Intellectual Property - London
"She is extremely easy to work with. She has very good analytical skills and she has a nice, reasoned approach to advocacy." "She is friendly, helpful and generally a delight to work with."
Recent work: Acted for Essex Student Lets in defence of a trade mark infringement and passing-off claim brought by Student Union Lettings in relation to the mark 'SU Lets', involving issues of localised goodwill.
Chambers UK 2019/Intellectual Property - The Regions (Bar) - Band 1
Strengths: "The number-one choice for IP counsel in the West of England. Very bright and a true joy to work with." "Extremely versatile and flexible. Very strong intellect and very personable. Extremely strong advocate."
Chambers UK 2018/Intellectual Property - The Regions (Bar) - Band 1
'At 3PB, Victoria Jones focuses on trademark and passing-off cases. She garners plaudits for her down-to-earth style and practical approach.'
World Trademark Review 1000 2018/Junior Counsel, intellectual property
'Enjoys a strong reputation in the field for her broad-based knowledge and significant expertise. Her diverse practice covers areas such as passing off, breach of confidence and trade mark disputes.
Strengths: “Excellent in court with a very friendly manner that puts clients at ease. She has an impressive intellect and an excellent eye for detail.” “First-class, she adopts a commercial approach, manages client expectations and is remarkably quick to respond.”'
Chambers UK 2017/Intellectual Property - The Regions (Bar) - Band 1
'Victoria Jones of 3PB Barristers is appreciated by solicitors for her "deft handling of difficult lay clients", and is hailed as "personable and pragmatic""
World Trademark Review 1000 2017/Junior Counsel, intellectual property.
‘She has excellent technical skills and a good client manner.’
Legal 500 2017/London Bar, Tier 4, Intellectual property – Leading juniors
'Particularly strong at trade marks and passing-off cases, and someone with a burgeoning reputation in the growing field of online intellectual property. Acts in Bristol and the South West, and is a leading IP figure in the region.
Strengths: "Very strong intellect and very personable. An extremely strong advocate." "Becoming Bristol’s premier IP specialist barrister, providing a very credible alternative to London."'
Chambers UK 2016/Intellectual Property - The Regions (Bar) - Band 1
‘She distils complicated legal issues into easily digestible language.’
Legal 500 2016/London Bar, Tier 4, Intellectual property – Leading juniors
'Victoria Jones of 3PB has a great reputation on trademark and passing off matters'
World Trademark Review 1000 2016/intellectual property.
'Bristol-based and quickly establishing a strong following amongst the leading IP solicitors in the South West. She has recently been instructed on a number of significant trade mark and passing-off cases, and is a popular speaker on issues such as online IP.
Expertise: "She is first-rate; she's personable, she gets stuck in, and her knowledge of the law is excellent." "She is very user-friendly and responsive, and clients really like her."'
Chambers UK 2015/Intellectual Property – The Regions (Bar) – Band 1
‘Her technical skills are excellent; she takes complicated issues and explains them succinctly and clearly to lay clients.’
Legal 500 2015/London Bar - Tier 4, Intellectual property – Leading juniors
- LLB (Hons) (Law with French)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Commercial IP
- Hardwicke Entrance Award (Lincoln's Inn)
- Ethram Scholar (2003)
- Chancery Bar Association
- IP Bar Association
Victoria Jones is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information