Poonam Bhari practices in all aspects of family law, with experience in public law proceedings, private law applications, international child law and financial remedy applications. Poonam undertakes Court of Protection cases.
Poonam can speak and take instructions in Punjab, Hindi and Urdu.
Add this expertise to your shortlist
Poonam appears in the Family Court and specialises in public law children cases where there are allegations of sexual abuse, non-accidental injuries, death of a parent. Poonam undertakes cases with an international element including forced marriage and child abduction cases.
Poonam acts for parents, children’s guardians, the Official Solicitor and local authorities in public law children cases. Poonam has represented clients with mental health and learning difficulties and clients from minority ethnic groups.
During 2000-2005 Poonam undertook criminal and immigration law cases. She represented the Home Office and appellants in immigration hearings before the tribunal in relation to both asylum and human rights claims.
Poonam undertakes voluntary work. She has reviewed cases for the Bar Prop Bono Unit. Poonam was a Trustee of Legal Action Group (Charity) from 2004 to 2016 and Chair of the Board of Trustees for over 10 years. Poonam has been an Executive Committee member of the Association of Lawyers for Children.
Poonam was a former schoolteacher and special educational needs co-coordinator before retraining as a barrister.
- C (A Child)  EWCA Civ 72 (02 January 2009)
- O (A Child), Re  EWCA Civ 1576 (01 November 2012)
- O (A Child), Re  EWCA Civ 1955 (05 December 2012)
- Birmingham City Council v Riaz & Ors (Rev 3)  EWHC 4247 (Fam) (15 December 2014)
- A & Anor v A Local Authority & Anor  EWHC 4816 (Fam) (17 December 2014)
- M'P-P (Children), Re  EWCA Civ 584 (11 June 2015)
- Medway Council v MI & Ors  EWFC 74 (04 August 2016)
- Medway Council v MI & Ors  EWFC 59 (03 February 2017)
Immigration cases – unreported
- Hassan v The Secretary of State for the Home Department [17.07.2001] HX/19029/2001
- Begum v Entry Clearance Officer (Islamabad) [24.07.2001] TH/22144/01
- Luma v The Secretary of State for the Home Department [31.10.2001] CC-14839-01
- Chiejina v Entry Clearance Officer (Lagos) [03.10.2001] TH/30071/2001
- Hamed v The Secretary of State for the Home Department [22.01.2002] UKIAT CC/34720/2002
- Nawaz v The Secretary of State for the Home Department [21.05.2002] HX/60851/2000
- Garrido v The Secretary of State for the Home Department [15.03.2002] HX/03103/2002
- Shirazi v The Secretary of State for the Home Department [28.03.2002] HX/17673/2001
- Sadeghi v The Secretary of State for the Home Department [11.09.2003] HX/37386/2002
- Experts: Maintaining and Expanding the Pool, Family Law February 2005. Co - Author: Dr Claire Sturge
- Transparency in Family Proceedings, The Circuiteer, Spring 2007, Issue 24
- Family Affairs - FLBA Newsletter - Occasional Contributor [1999 – 2006]
- Children Law UK Newsletter - Occasional Contributor [1999 – 2006]
- B.Ed (Hons)
- MA in Education
- Graduate Diploma in Professional Studies
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Professional Studies
- Graduate Diploma in Law
- Bar Vocational Course
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Trained Mediator (CALM Mediation)
- The General Council of the Bar (Elected Member 2006-2008; Member of GMC and various Bar Council committees)
- Middle Temple
- Midland Circuit
- Family Law Association (West Midlands); FLBA committee member 2006-2008
- Legal Action Group (Charity) member 2004-2016; Chair of Board of Trustees 2006-2016
- Association of Lawyers for Children executive committee member 2016-2018
- British Agencies for Adoption and Fostering
- West London Law Society
Poonam Bhari is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
3PB Family strengthens its London team with arrival of Poonam Bhari
3PB’s booming London team has been joined by senior barrister Poonam Bhari from rival chambers St Phillips. Poonam is well known nationally as a leading fa...Read more