Cannabis Law and Regulation
3PB’s Cannabis Group continues to establish themselves as one of the leading barristers chambers in the fast-evolving Cannabis Sector, giving the measured guidance and advice needed by the cross section of businesses and individuals already involved in, or looking to expand into, the UK’s fast growing medicinal cannabis and CBD product markets. This includes assisting pharmaceutical companies, cultivators, food and other novel product manufacturers, investors and retailers.
3PB’s unique cannabis regulation team brings together a range of specialist practitioners from across chambers with barristers being able to offer advice on diverse areas such as:
- The UK and European regulatory environment for developing and launching medical products into the UK market, and contractual issues
- Intellectual property rights for new medical products and brand protection
- Requirements on the lawful import, storage and export of cannabis based products to and from the UK
- Licensing regulations for those looking to cultivate high and low THC cannabis strains or open premises selling these products.
- Specialist planning law advice for developers looking to change their land use to cultivate medicinal cannabis plants
- All areas of food law, including the European ‘novel foods’ regime
- Regulatory advice for companies looking to invest into the UK cannabis market including the UK Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, the UK Proceeds of Crime Act 2002, the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, as well as similar international regulations
Alongside expertise across the spectrum of regulatory and business issues, 3PB boasts excellent links with the UK and international law firms advising the sector who, in turn, are able to offer assistance with issues such as funding arrangements for those looking to invest into the market.
Predominantly advisory based, members of 3PB’s specialist sub team can offer advice and assistance at short notice and are prepared to offer support in writing, in person, over the telephone or video link. Equally, where transactional support is required, members are well versed in the preparation of a wide variety of commercial agreements.
Where clients actions are challenged by the UK Government or its regulatory bodies, 3PB’s substantial depth of experience in regulatory matters means that its barristers are on hand to offer robust advocacy where required, or to assist with pragmatic conflict resolution.
Door Tenants and Pupils are marked by the DT and P symbols.
Stephen Harvey QC Call: 1979 | Silk: 2006
3PB criminal and regulatory barrister Jonathan Underhill joined law firm Mackrell Solicitors and KFP Consulting for an online panel event on 21 May 2021, entitled “Novel Foods – What Now? How to engage with the Regulators” organised for the Cannabis Trades Association and its members. With the FSA still not providing a definitive list of those CBD suppliers / producers who have achieved validation of their novel foods application, Jonathan and the panel looked at...Continue reading
3PB’s specialist regulatory barrister and Head of Trading Standards, Jonathan Underhill will be joining Ricardo Geada, Head of Cannabis and Regulatory Team at Mackrell Law; Siân Phillips, Managing Director at Cannabis Trades Association; and Leon Livermore, Director at KFP consulting to present a webinar on trading standards for the Cannabis Trades Association. The webinar ‘’Novel Foods – What Now? How to engage with the Regulators!’’ will be taking place on Friday 21st May 10am-11am. The...Continue reading
3PB’s Matthew Wyard, a specialist regulatory barrister has issued a briefing, in tandem with Ricardo Geada, head of the cannabis and regulatory team at law firm Mackrell Solicitors aimed at companies working within the CBD industry post-Brexit. As of the 1st January 2021, the UK officially left the EU after a deal was agreed on 24 December. The deal will bring complex changes to the import and export of products for UK businesses, especially those...Continue reading
very user-friendlyChambers and Partners