- Clerk Name: Sam Collins
- Clerk Email: [email protected]
Jamie Johnston brings extensive experience in elite sport to his sports law practice. He is a Disciplinary Chair for British Cycling and sits on the disciplinary panels for both UK Athletics and British Canoeing. He was also a legal adviser to the British Road Cycling Championships in 2018.
As an advocate and disciplinary panelist, Jamie has experience of a wide range of disciplinary matters in sports as diverse as golf, athletics, swimming and cycling. He has worked in cases involving allegations of discrimination & racism, accusations of/purported cheating, violent misconduct and technical code violations.
A former professional coach, Jamie has over 20 years’ experience working with athletes at every level, from grassroots to international and junior international competition. He has trained both able-bodied and para-sport athletes.
Jamie played national league hockey and now competes in duathlon competitions internationally as well as running races throughout the UK for his age-group.
His most sports regulatory work includes:
- Successfully defending a golfer facing a suspension for alleged cheating.
- Acting for a swimming club and its executive in disciplinary hearings alleging breaches of NGB regulations.
- Chairing a disciplinary hearing for a major UK sports body considering alleged discrimination by a member.
- A lengthy local government misconduct matter with consideration of the Localism Act 2011 and Nolan Principles
- Adjudicating breaches of sporting regulations by elite athletes
"Jamie and I worked together negotiating a national sport contract. He had great attention to detail; displayed speed with which he picked up the issues; had a very effective and measured negotiating style; and was a pleasure to work with."
Rod Findlay, Sports lawyer
“Very impressed with Jamie – clear logical advice but most importantly his approachability. I will be using him again and will recommend him to my Real Estate dispute colleagues.”