Public and Regulatory
William is a member of the Attorney-General’s A Panel of Counsel to the Crown in civil matters and acts for a variety of government agencies, including the Secretary of State for the Home Department, the MoJ, the Department of Health, the Secretary of State for Business and HMRC.
As such he is a specialist in public law and judicial review and regularly appears in the Administrative Court acting for the Crown, particularly in the field of immigration, where he has a particular interest in Article 8 ECHR, Dublin Regulation claims, PBS claims, asylum, human trafficking and unlawful detention.
His expertise extends to any case involving a challenge to the legality of a decision taken by a public body and he has particular expertise in all aspects of human rights.
He has a particular expertise in civil VAT fraud, civil recovery of the proceeds of crime and all aspects of asset recovery (including confiscation, forfeiture, freezing orders, beneficial interests).
William has wide experience of disciplinary proceedings against professionals and has appeared before the SDT, NMC and RICS.
William also sits as a Legally Qualified Chair for Police misconduct hearings and as a fee-paid Judge of the First Tier Tribunal.
- R (on the application of Williams) v. SSHD  EWCA Civ 98 (ultra vires and Article 8 and Article 14 ECHR)
- Kaur v. SSHD  EWHC 481 (Admin) (ETS deception)
- R. (oao Kucherov) v. SSHD  EWCA Civ 791 (meaning of “employment” in Immigration Rules)
- AM (Iran) v. SSHD  EWCA Civ 667 (fresh claim and credibility)
- SSHD v. Jobe  EWCA Civ 1035 (unlawful detention)
- Teletape (A firm)  UKFTT 797 (TC) (limitation for misdeclaration penalties)
- Minshall v Revenue and Customs Commissioners and others  EWCA Civ 741 (res judicata and Article 6 ECHR)
- R (oao Roohi & another v. SSHD (2014 Act: saved appeal rights)  UKUT 685
- R (on the application of Poquiz) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWHC 1759 (Admin) (human trafficking)
- R (on the application of Stewart) v Secretary of State for the Home Department  EWHC 806 (Admin) (Zambrano and Article 8 ECHR)
- MI (Pakistan) & MF (Venezuela) v SSHD  EWCA Civ 826,  Imm AR 1043 (meaning of persecution)
- R (oao Butt) v. SSHD  EWHC 1793 (Admin) (dishonesty and false documents)
- R (oao Chanthiratheva) v. SSHD  EWHC 2135 (Admin) (no unfairness in treatment as between personal and postal applicants)
- Bent v. SSHD  EWHC 4036 (Admin) (derivative rights of residence).
- B.Sc (Econ), First Class, LSE
- M.Phil (Cantab.)
- MBA (London Business School) with Distinction
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Deputy Judge of the Upper Tribunal, Administrative Appeals Chamber
- Deputy Chancery Master
- Judge, First Tier Tribunal, Property Chamber
- Legally Qualified Chair, Police Misconduct Hearings
- Member of the Attorney General's A Panel
- ADR Qualified Mediator
- Member of the Administrative Law Bar Association
- Member of the Chancery Bar Association
- Member of the Property Bar Association
William Hansen is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
3PB Barristers are proud to announce three Recorder appointments
3PB Barristers are delighted to announce that three of their barristers have been appointed as Recorders. Lawrence Messling, is assigned to sit on the North Eas...Read more
William Hansen promoted to the Attorney-General’s A panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown in civil matters, with effect from 1 September 2017
Chambers is pleased to announce that William Hansen has been promoted from the B panel to the A panel of the Attorney General’s Panels of Junior Counsel to th...Read more