Public and Regulatory
Tim has experience in defending and prosecuting within a wide range of regulatory crime and is frequently instructed to prosecute on behalf of local authorities. By way of illustration he recently prosecuted a national solar thermal heating company in a widely publicised case concerning false claims made in respect to solar thermal heating systems. He has also successfully defended a company director alleged to have been involved in the supply of millions of pounds worth of counterfeit Microsoft software. His particular areas of experience are in:
- Trade Descriptions
- Trade Marks and Copyright
- Food Safety
- Animals; Animal Cruelty, Cattle Database Regulations and related legislation
- Medicines Act and related regulations.
Timothy Bradbury is also regularly instructed to advise in relation to, and appear in, Police Disciplinary hearings.
- Southern Inshore Fisheries and Conservation v Carlin Boat Charter Limited  EWHC 1359 Admin - Successful challenge, following Case Stated to Divisional Court, as to validity of fisheries bye-law made pursuant to Sea Fisheries Regulation Act 1996 on grounds of ultra vires/ irrationality/ illegality
- Dorset County Council v David Yeates House  EWCA Crim 2270 - Cattle Database and Cattle Identification Regulations 1998/ Proper construction of regulation enforcing EC obligations/ Effect of repeal of EC Regulation on domestic regulations.
Asset and Tax Recovery
Timothy Bradbury is instructed in cash forfeiture proceedings and to act on behalf of local authorities in relation to confiscation proceedings in the field of regulatory crime.
He also regularly prosecutes and defends in the field of serious crime. In particular he is frequently instructed on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs in relation to drug importations, tax and duty evasion offences. In this capacity he regularly conducts and advises in relation to confiscation proceedings invariably multi-handed cases with very substantial benefit/assets. He has also been instructed to appear on behalf of the AFU.
'Senior junior with a strong reputation for his skilful prosecutions on behalf of HMRC as well as other government bodies. He has expertise as a defender and prosecutor in all manner of tax cases, fraud and regulatory crime.'
Chambers UK 2017/Crime - Western (Bar) - Band 3
'An experienced junior who is instructed to act on behalf of both claimants and defendants in criminal cases relating to drugs, fraud, serious violence and arms trafficking offences.
Strengths: "He has a real capacity for hard work, an emphasis on polished, fluent advocacy and an effective courtroom style."'
Chambers UK 2016/Crime - Western (Bar) - Band 3
'...has a mixed prosecution and defence practice with particular expertise in fraud, drugs conspiracy cases and violent crime.
Expertise: "He is a great advocate, well suited to top-end, serious cases."'
Chambers UK 2015/Crime - Western Bar - Band 1 Set
'...a criminal practitioner with considerable experience of prosecuting on behalf of the CPS, HMRC and other government agencies. His expertise covers a range of regulatory crime and fraud.'
Chambers UK 2014/Crime - Western Circuit
'Well known for fraud prosecutions'
Legal 500 2016/Regional Bar - Western Circuit, Crime – Leading juniors
'His practice includes fraud, drugs importation and serious violent and sexual offences cases'
Legal 500 2015/Regional Bar - Western Circuit, Crime – Leading juniors
'One of his strong suits is his prosecution work for HMRC in tax fraud cases'
Legal 500 2014/Western Circuit - Crime: Leading Juniors
‘highly regarded by the judiciary’
Legal 500 2013/Western Circuit - Crime.
- LLB (Hons) Southampton
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Standing Counsel to Revenue & Customs Prosecution Office (Western Circuit)
- Legal Assessor to the General Medical Council
- Legal Assessor to Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Grade 4 Serious Crime Group Panel
- Grade 4 Fraud Panel
- Grade 4 Rape and Serious Sexual Offences Panel
- Grade 4 Proceeds of Crime Panel
- Criminal Bar Association
- Western Circuit
Timothy Bradbury is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
Tim Bradbury, 3PB Criminal Law Barrister, appears in recent Court of Appeal case
Tim Bradbury, criminal law barrister, appeared for the Respondent in R v Pacurar (2016)(19)SJ.37, CLW/16/19/3,  EWCA Crim 569 where the Court of Appeal, i...Read more