Matthew is developing a practice in sports law. He is an experienced advocate appearing regularly in the High Court, County Court and Tribunals, including the Upper Tribunal.
Matthew has particular skill and experience in addressing regulatory disputes and analysis of rules and regulations made by public bodies. He is also experienced in disputes in the sporting context, having:
- Acted for a golf club in relation to a nuisance claim brought by a neighbouring landowner based upon straying golf balls (Taafe v Acanthus Golf Ltd)
- Advised a national association upon issues relating to the effect of disability discrimination law on golf clubs, including the different considerations relevant to proprietary clubs and private members’ clubs.
Matthew is both a follower and participant in a range of sports enjoying cycling and playing golf and cricket and watching most sports including, in particular, cricket, cycling and horse racing.
Handles a wide range of landlord and tenant disputes. He is also equipped to advise on easements and boundary disputes relating to both residential and commercial property.
Strengths: "He is a very reliable commercial adviser who is flexible and supportive." "He is a very good trial advocate and takes a very pragmatic approach in problem solving."
Recent work: Successfully acted for a claimant in a case involving allegations of trespass, nuisance and harassment, as well as a claim for rectification of the Land Registry.
Chambers & Partners UK Bar Directory 2020 - Real Estate Litigation Western circuit - Band 3
‘Knowledgeable, thorough, and client-friendly.'
Legal 500 2020/Regional Bar - Western Circuit, Property – Leading juniors
- LLB (Hons) AKC – King’s College London
- LLM (Dunelm) – University of Durham
- Bar Vocational Course – Nottingham Law School
- A Blackstone Entrance Exhibitioner of the Middle Temple
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Appointed Deputy District Judge, 2019
- Member of the Attorney General’s Regional Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown 2012 – 2018.
- Property Bar Association
- Chancery Bar Association
- Western Circuit
Matthew Cannings is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
Short video explaining Court of Appeal decision regarding landlords and gas safety certificates out now
Matthew Cannings explains the significance of the Court of Appeal's decision in Trecarrell House v Rouncefield for landlords and gas safety certificates - all i...Read more
3PB reviews Trecarrell House decision on landlords’ eviction rights and gas safety certificates
Yesterday. Thursday 18th June 2020, the Court of Appeal handed down their judgment in the case of Trecarrell House Ltd v Rouncefield  EWCA Civ 760 to stat...Read more
An Update for Residential Landlords and Tenants during the Coronavirus
3PB’s Head of Property and Estates Group Matthew Cannings and Alex Leonhardt, pupil barrister, have produced an update for residential landlords and tenants d...Read more