Matthew is developing a practice in sports law. He is an experienced advocate appearing regularly in the High Court, County Court and Tribunals, including the Upper Tribunal.
Matthew has particular skill and experience in addressing regulatory disputes and analysis of rules and regulations made by public bodies. He is also experienced in disputes in the sporting context, having:
- Acted for an English sports association in respect of a High Court claim issued against the association by a former coach.
- Acted for a golf club in relation to a nuisance claim brought by a neighbouring landowner based upon straying golf balls (Taafe v Acanthus Golf Ltd)
- Advised a national association upon issues relating to the effect of disability discrimination law on golf clubs, including the different considerations relevant to proprietary clubs and private members’ clubs.
Matthew is both a follower and participant in a range of sports enjoying cycling and playing golf and cricket and watching most sports including, in particular, cricket, cycling and horse racing.
Matthew Cannings handles a wide range of landlord and tenant disputes. He is also equipped to advise on easements and boundary disputes relating to both residential and commercial property. He also handles gas safety disputes.
Strengths: "Matthew is especially responsive and has a very keen eye for details." "Matthew is very approachable and easy to get hold of and have a chat informally. He has very good client care skills and he has good advocacy and drafting skills."
Chambers UK 2022/Real Estate Litigation/Western Circuit
Strengths: "He responds sensitively to the client’s position while reinforcing commercial considerations and ensuring instructions are fully explored." "Matthew deals with instructions efficiently and with clarity."
Recent work: Acted for the respondent landlord in Trecarrell House Ltd v Rouncefield, a County Court appeal relating to a gas safety certificates and Section 21 notices.
Chambers UK 2021/Real Estate Litigation/Western Circuit
Strengths: "He is a very reliable commercial adviser who is flexible and supportive." "He is a very good trial advocate and takes a very pragmatic approach in problem solving."
Recent work: Successfully acted for a claimant in a case involving allegations of trespass, nuisance and harassment, as well as a claim for rectification of the Land Registry.
Chambers UK 2020/Real Estate Litigation/Western circuit
‘He provides commercial, succinct advice and demonstrates strong knowledge of the various statutes that relate to residential property law. He quickly assimilates facts and provides clear advice on all the key issues in a case.’
Legal 500 2022/Property and Construction/Leading Juniors/Western Circuit
A strong trial advocate with a concise and approachable style.’
Legal 500 2021/Property and construction/Leading Juniors/Regional Bar - Western Circuit
‘Knowledgeable, thorough, and client-friendly.'
Legal 500 2020/Property/Leading Juniors/Regional Bar - Western Circuit,
Chambers and Partners rankings
- Leading Junior 2022
Legal 500 rankings
- Leading Junior 2022
- LLB (Hons) AKC – King’s College London
- LLM (Dunelm) – University of Durham
- Bar Vocational Course – Nottingham Law School
- A Blackstone Entrance Exhibitioner of the Middle Temple
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Appointed Deputy District Judge, 2019
- Member of the Attorney General’s Regional Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown 2012 – 2018.
- Property Bar Association
- Chancery Bar Association
- Western Circuit
Matthew Cannings is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information