Matthew is developing a practice in sports law. He is an experienced advocate appearing regularly in the High Court, County Court and Tribunals, including the Upper Tribunal.
Matthew has particular skill and experience in addressing regulatory disputes and analysis of rules and regulations made by public bodies. He is also experienced in disputes in the sporting context, having:
- Acted for a golf club in relation to a nuisance claim brought by a neighbouring landowner based upon straying golf balls (Taafe v Acanthus Golf Ltd)
- Advised a national association upon issues relating to the effect of disability discrimination law on golf clubs, including the different considerations relevant to proprietary clubs and private members’ clubs.
Matthew is both a follower and participant in a range of sports enjoying cycling and playing golf and cricket and watching most sports including, in particular, cricket, cycling and horse racing.
Handles a wide range of landlord and tenant disputes. He is also equipped to advise on easements and boundary disputes relating to both residential and commercial property.
Strengths: "He is a very reliable commercial adviser who is flexible and supportive." "He is a very good trial advocate and takes a very pragmatic approach in problem solving."
Recent work: Successfully acted for a claimant in a case involving allegations of trespass, nuisance and harassment, as well as a claim for rectification of the Land Registry.
Chambers & Partners UK Bar Directory 2020 - Real Estate Litigation Western circuit - Band 3
‘Knowledgeable, thorough, and client-friendly.'
Legal 500 2020/Regional Bar - Western Circuit, Property – Leading juniors
- LLB (Hons) AKC – King’s College London
- LLM (Dunelm) – University of Durham
- Bar Vocational Course – Nottingham Law School
- A Blackstone Entrance Exhibitioner of the Middle Temple
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Appointed Deputy District Judge, 2019
- Member of the Attorney General’s Regional Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown 2012 – 2018.
- Chancery Bar Association
- Western Circuit
Matthew Cannings is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
Four 3PB Barristers appointed as Deputy District Judges
National chambers 3PB Barristers – formerly 3 Paper Buildings – has seen four of its barristers appointed as Deputy District Judges in a single round of app...Read more
William Hansen promoted to the Attorney-General’s A panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown in civil matters, with effect from 1 September 2017
Chambers is pleased to announce that William Hansen has been promoted from the B panel to the A panel of the Attorney General’s Panels of Junior Counsel to th...Read more
3PB Barrister Matthew Cannings examines solicitors' duty to advise on the risk of other contractual meanings
If a solicitor correctly interprets a term within a contract, but fails to advise the client as to the risk of a counter-interpretation, has there been a breach...Read more