Proceeds of crime
Jonathan has developed an expertise in dealing with all financial matters ancillary to his specialist areas of practice. Jonathan regularly deals with Proceeds and of Crime, Restraint and Confiscation Orders, and is regularly instructed, for the Defence, Prosecution, Police Force and HMRC from initial seizure and forfeiture to contested final hearings.
Jonathan has also acted for interested third parties, including private individuals and insurance companies, both to provide advice in relation to rights and standing, as well as providing detailed assistance by way of noting briefs and written application and submissions.
- R v. X (2018) – Instructed to advise on the rights and interest of third parties involved in confiscation where assets were potentially covered under constructive trust.
- R v. B (2018) – Legal argument concerning the proper statutory interpretation of the re-assessment of available assets following further conviction.
- R v. C (2017) – Instructed for the Defence solely to deal with contested POCA proceedings arising from large scale drug dealing.
- R v. B and Ors – Instructed on behalf of third-party insurance company to provide detailed legal advice on arguments pertaining to the Defendants having “obtained” property; detailed noting brief required of multi day contested hearing.
- R(S) v. Q and Others – POCA confiscation. Lifestyle assumptions, multiple properties, bank accounts, hidden asserts, assertion of third-party rights and assets outside of the jurisdiction.
- WSS v. D – Trading Standards confiscation, legal argument as to the effect of proportionality and R v Waya as relating to tainted gifts and third-party property rights.
“I would not hesitate in instructing Mr Jonathan Underhill in all manner of Regulatory matters. He has an almost encyclopaedic knowledge in all key regulatory areas, including Environmental, Licensing, Housing and Planning offences. His preparation is meticulous with close attention to detail. He is extremely approachable and is great at communicating to a wide range of clients, which has always led to positive feedback and requests to instruct him in future matters. He has an amazing ability to advocate complex issues in law, in a way that is easy to understand for Magistrates, Jurors and Judges. His Advocacy is simply exceptional. He is and will continue to be my first choice of Counsel.”
C Smith – Criminal Litigation Lawyer (London Local Authority)
“I am indebted to Mr Jonathan Underhill…for his realistic and concise submissions… Mr Underhill was utterly realistic in his submissions to this court, which he advanced with commendable brevity and good sense”.
HHJ Jeremy Richardson QC – In the High Court
“I was very impressed with Jonathan Underhill – and he had a glowing report from our environmental health manager for his advocacy at the recent noise trial he did for us”.
Local Authority Solicitor
“I would not hesitate in instructing Mr Underhill – cases are always thoroughly prepared, time and care taken with clients and outcomes reported back promptly. The client feedback has been excellent and often accompanies with a request that he represent them again. The quality of his representation is first class.”
Lindsey Taylor (Solicitor) - Watkins and Gunn Solicitors
“I have found Mr Underhill to be an excellent advocate who is always well prepared and courteous to all. I have had positive feedback from clients in cases he had conducted on my firm’s behalf. I would not hesitate to instruct him.”
Paul Lewis (Partner) - Quality Solicitors HPJV
"Very clearly presented - a dry subject made interesting. Very useful info. Excellent trainer".
Nikki Hutt, West Sussex County Council
"Very informative, clear, concise but with a level of relaxed delivery and humour. I enjoyed Jonathan's 'style'."
Dee Plum, West Sussex County Council
“I was very impressed with Jonathan Underhill and he had a glowing report from our environmental health manager for his advocacy at the recent noise trial he did for us.”
Local Authority Solicitor
- BVC (Graded Outstanding) – Cardiff University Law School
- Inner Temple Prize Winner – Outstanding Achievement
- LLB (Hons) Law & Politics – Cardiff University Law School
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Level 3 – CPS Panel Advocate
- Level 2 – CPS Specialist Panel Advocate – Proceeds of Crime Panel
- Serious Fraud Office Review Panel
- Western Circuit
- Criminal Bar Association
- Young Fraud Lawyers Association
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association
- Private Prosecutors Association
3PB's Jonathan Underhill reviews new police and local authorities enforcement and prosecution powers under lockdown
Last month the Coronavirus Act 2020 (CA 2020) received Royal Assent and the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions (England) Regulations 2020, SI 2020/350...Read more
3PB's Jonathan Underhill secures suspended sentence in prosecution under Trade Marks Act 1994
3PB Barristers’ Jonathan Underhill was instructed to represent the first defendant in a case brought by Isle Of Wight Council Trading Standards. The case invo...Read more
3PB Barrister Jonathan Underhill instructed on behalf of international clients in application for account freezing order
3PB Barrister Jonathan Underhill was instructed by non-domiciled UK residents to draft urgent application papers and provide representation for third party inte...Read more