Construction and engineering
Seb regularly advises and acts in relation to construction disputes, and routinely deals with disputes arising under the common-form contract suites (in particular JCT and NEC contracts). A large part of his practice concerns professional negligence in the construction and engineering context.
In each of his practice areas he represents parties in arbitration, the High Court and the County Court. He also acts in adjudications under the 1996 Act and in the enforcement of adjudicator awards.
- Defending a final account claim in respect of a high-value Central London redevelopment (ongoing; TCC)
- Software claim to recover business losses suffered through errors in the design of bespoke customer relationship management software (ongoing; arbitration)
- Professional negligence claim against structural engineers relating to foundations advice; recovery of additional project costs (ongoing; Technology and Construction Court)
- Property owner’s claim against design and build basement specialists relating to tilting of the structure (ongoing; TCC)
- Professional negligence claim against architects arising from deficient design, project management, and cost control, of garden redesign project (2016-2018; TCC, Court of Appeal)
- Negligence claim against third party M&E contractors, arising from sprinkler system flooding to commercial premises (2017)
- Acting for the employer in defending a neighbours’ claim arising from an escape of fire from a construction site, and in parallel contribution proceedings against the main contractor (2014-2015, TCC)
Noteworthy and recent cases (Technology / Construction)
Burgess v. Lejonvarn  EWCA Civ 254, 171 ConLR 118 (CA);  181 ConLR 204 (TCC) - Professional negligence claim against architect; assumption of responsibility in tort for design and project management services provided gratuitously.
Ziggurat (Claremont Place) LLP v HCC International Insurance Co plc  EWHC 3286 (TCC), (2017) 176 ConLR 161 (TCC) – Explored the wording of the industry-standard contractor’s bond, and the insurer’s liability under it on the contractor’s insolvency.
Seeney v. Gleeson Developments Ltd  EWHC 3244 (TCC),  All ER (D) 143 (Nov) – Residential homebuyers’ claim against national housebuilder, arising out of design and construction defects in a new-build home.
West 3 Mechanical Contractors Ltd v Mizen Design Build Ltd  All ER (D) 40 (TCC) - Defence of contractor’s claim for payment, centering on defective installation of gas installation pipework.
Hunt and Ors v. Optima (Cambridge) Ltd and Anor  EWHC 681 (TCC), (2013) 148 ConLR 27 (TCC) - Defects and tenants’ repair claim arising out of the development of 26 new-build properties.
JGD Construction Ltd v. Mills  EWHC 572 (Ch),  BPIR 811 - Appeal considering the extent to which the court has a discretion to make a final third party debt order, notwithstanding the fact that the judgment debtor has entered formal insolvency proceedings.
2nd Sep 2016
Construction law: The CDM Regulations 2015 and novated designer appointments - an update for Lexis Nexis by Seb Oram of 3PB Barristers.
2nd Sep 2016
On the anniversary of the CDM Regulations 2015 coming into force, Seb Oram presents a LexisNexis webinar on their effect and on the practical issues that they raise for the Construction and Engineering sectors.
2nd Sep 2016
The CDM Regulations 2015: changes and impact - an update by 3PB's construction law barrister, Seb Oram.
Experienced junior focusing on professional negligence claims against construction professionals, among others. He has experience litigating in the Court of Appeal as well as the TCC.
Strengths: "He is good at explaining things in a calm, methodical and well thought out way. He listens to instruction and his overall demeanour is very confident." "Considered, robust, articulate, technically sound, and has a great ability to absorb complex facts and cut to the heart of the issue."
Recent work: Acted in a claim against structural engineers for economic losses resulting from negligent advice on the adequacy of foundations for the vertical extension of a commercial building.
Chambers UK 2020/Professional Negligence: Technology & Construction London Bar – Band 3
"He very quickly inspires confidence in the client and is a measured but very effective negotiator."
Recent work: Acted before the Court of Appeal in a claim arising out of the design, tendering and supervision of the structural relandscaping of a terraced garden, and considering whether a professional could be held liable for services provided gratuitously.
Chambers UK 2019/Professional Negligence: Technology & Construction London Bar – Band 3
Strengths: "You can bombard him with information and he sees straight through everything that needs to be swept aside. He gets to the crux of the issue. He is also a very effective communicator."
Chambers UK 2018/Professional Negligence: Technology & Construction London Bar – Band 3
‘Excellent on construction-related claims.’
Legal 500 2020/Professional Negligence/Leading juniors/London
'Incredibly detailed, solid and hardworking.'
Legal 500 2018/19/Professional Negligence/Leading juniors/London
- MA (Hons.) Law, Trinity Hall, Cambridge
- LL.M., University of Bristol
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Called 2007; Lincoln’s Inn
- Associate member of the Association of Business Recovery Professionals (“R3”)
- Chancery Bar Association
- Member of the Society of Construction Law
- Technology & Construction Bar Association (TECBAR)
Commercial update: fiduciary duties between shareholders of a quasi-partnership company
Do shareholders in a family or quasi-partnership company, owe each other fiduciary duties? Seb Oram analyses the recent decision of the Chancery Division in De ...Read more
Commercial update: Mistake in commercial contracts
Seb Oram analyses the Commercial Court’s recent decision in Natixis SA v Marex Financial  EWHC 2549 (Comm), as part of LexisPSL’s Case Analysis Expert...Read more
Seb Oram to speak at White Paper Conference "Construction Contracts: Hints, Tips and Solution-Focused Answers"
3PB Construction Barrister Seb Oram has been invited by White Paper to speak at their conference on "Construction Contracts: Hints, Tips and Solution-Focused An...Read more