Construction and engineering
Seb regularly advises and acts in relation to construction disputes, and routinely deals with disputes arising under the common-form contract suites (in particular JCT and NEC contracts). A large part of his practice concerns professional negligence in the construction and engineering context.
In each of his practice areas he represents parties in arbitration, the High Court and the County Court. He also acts in adjudications under the 1996 Act and in the enforcement of adjudicator awards.
- Professional negligence claim against architects arising from deficient design, project management, and cost control, of garden redesign project (2016-2017; Technology and Construction Court)
- Professional negligence claim against project manager, alleging breaches of duty in the procurement and letting of a high-value residential development contract (2017)
- Negligence claim against third party M&E contractors, arising from sprinkler system flooding to commercial premises (2017)
- Acting for the employer in defending a neighbours’ claim arising from an escape of fire from a construction site, and in parallel contribution proceedings against the main contractor (2014-2015, Technology and Construction Court)
- Advising a local authority in respect of claims arising from defective concrete structures in public car park (2014; case ongoing)
- Professional negligence claim against architects arising from deficient design for the refurbishment of a residential care home (2014; case ongoing)
- Bringing claim against a mechanical and electrical sub-contractor, based on defective installation of gas pipes (2013, Technology and Construction Court)
- Defending professional negligence claims arising out of geotechnical ground investigations (2013, Technology and Construction Court; case ongoing)
- Professional negligence claim against structural engineers arising out of design of concrete sub-structures (2013, Technology and Construction Court)
- Various construction claims relating to payment disputes, extensions of time and associated compensation claims, and disputed final accounts.
- Acting for/against nationwide house-builders in defects claims brought by purchasers
Noteworthy and recent cases (Technology / Construction)
Burgess v Lejonvarn  EWCA Civ 254; 171 ConLR 118
Professional negligence claim against architect; assumption of responsibility in tort for design and project management services provided gratuitously.
Seeney v. Gleeson Developments Ltd  EWHC 3244 (TCC),  All ER (D) 143 (Nov)
West 3 Mechanical Contractors Ltd v Mizen Design Build Ltd  All ER (D) 40 Defence of contractor’s claim for payment, centring on defective installation of gas installation pipework.
Hunt and Ors v. Optima (Cambridge) Ltd and Anor  EWHC 681 (TCC), (2013) 148 ConLR 27
Defects and tenants’ repair claim arising out of the development of 26 new-build properties.
JGD Construction Ltd v. Mills  EWHC 572 (Ch),  BPIR 811
Appeal considering the extent to which the court has a discretion to make a final third party debt order, notwithstanding the fact that the judgment debtor has entered formal insolvency proceedings.
2nd Sep 2016
Construction law: The CDM Regulations 2015 and novated designer appointments - an update by Seb Oram
2nd Sep 2016
On the anniversary of the CDM Regulations 2015 coming into force, Seb Oram presents a LexisNexis webinar on their effect and on the practical issues that they raise for the Construction and Engineering sectors.
2nd Sep 2016
The CDM Regulations 2015: changes and impact - an update by Seb Oram
'Experienced junior focusing on professional negligence claims against construction professionals, among others. He has experience litigating in the Court of Appeal as well as the TCC.'
Strengths: "You can bombard him with information and he sees straight through everything that needs to be swept aside. He gets to the crux of the issue. He is also a very effective communicator."
Chambers UK 2018/Professional Negligence: Technology & Construction London Bar – Band 3
- MA (Hons.) Law, Trinity Hall, Cambridge
- LL.M., University of Bristol
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Called 2007; Lincoln’s Inn
- Associate member of the Association of Business Recovery Professionals (“R3”)
- Chancery Bar Association
- Member of the Society of Construction Law
- Technology & Construction Bar Association (TECBAR)
3PB Barristers' Commercial Law Group brings you its latest Commercial Law Update
3PB Barristers' Commercial Law Group brings you the latest Edition of its legal update. Topics: Gavin Hamilton - Scope of Duty and Causation of Loss What can w...Read more
Construction Law: Court of Appeal upholds decision on architects' non-contractual duties by Seb Oram
The Court of Appeal has held in Burgess v. Lejonvarn  EWCA Civ 254 that an architect and project manager who supplied her professional services to friends...Read more
Commercial update: Professional negligence - Seb Oram revisits conveyancers' scope of duty
The Supreme Court has recently heard a challenge to the SAAMCO ‘scope of duty’ principle, in the context of a professional negligence claim against conveyan...Read more