Olivia McGonigle is a first six pupil barrister with 3PB and is one of the 2021 “Butterfield Pupils”, a scheme of the Western Circuit to part-finance publicly funded pupillages in the South and South West of England.
She joined chambers in October 2021 and is based in Winchester and on the Western Circuit.
Prior to pupillage, Olivia worked as a paralegal at the Electoral Commission and volunteered at various charities. This included working for a capital defence office in New Orleans, focusing solely on death penalty cases.
Olivia has undertaken a range of pro bono work, including working on innocence projects and with IPSEA, a charity dedicated to providing legal advice for children with additional needs. Olivia has also volunteered at the Free Representation Unit where she represented clients in social security tribunals and obtained favourable outcomes.
Olivia has a particular interest in working with vulnerable clients and has been praised for her natural cross examination style.
Outside work Olivia enjoys swimming and running.
- Bar Training Course – Distinction (BPP London)
- Graduate Diploma in Law – Distinction (BPP London)
- BA Hons History and Political Science (University of Birmingham)
- Butterfield Scholar for the Western Circuit
- Wilfred Watson Scholar (Gray’s Inn)
- Residential Scholar (Gray’s Inn)
- Career Commitment Scholar (BPP)
- Excellence Scholar (BPP)
- BPP Advocacy Scholar (BPP)
- GDL Scholarship (Gray’s Inn)
- Gray’s Inn