Nick has a wide range of experience in commercial matters in which he regularly provides advice, drafts pleadings and represents clients in litigation, adjudication and mediation.
Nick’s commercial practice is focused on the following areas:
- Contractual disputes and payment claims
- Supply of goods and services and product liability
- Professional negligence (in particular in relation to claims against construction professionals)
- Debt recovery; and
Nick regularly acts for clients at both interlocutory and final hearings and his experience at a law firm prior to joining chambers ensures that he has a strong client- focused approach, with a ready grasp of the wider strategic objectives that can drive commercial disputes.
- Medsted Associates Ltd v Canaccord Genuity Wealth (International) Ltd  EWHC 1815 - Nick acted in a junior capacity on behalf of the Defendant, which successfully avoided an award of substantial damages against it.
- Nick successfully resisted an application to set aside a statutory demand arising out of a circa £10 million commercial fraud claim.
- Nick acted in a junior capacity on a high-value commercial dispute, assisting with the drafting of closing submissions on behalf of the defendant. Although the claim was partially successful, only nominal damages were awarded.
“A most impressive Counsel. I was particularly taken by his grasp of the issues involved and the manner in which our case was conducted.” - Client
"Nick remained poised and collected throughout, and was able to stay on track despite the interventions of both the defendant and the Judge. I really appreciated the forethought he had put in to the presentation of the argument. Win or lose he could not have given more." - Client
"Nick was a tremendous help to us with drafting our business terms and conditions. He explained potential issues in a clear and concise manner and helped us come up with effective solutions. All in all, Nick was a great resource for us." - Client
- The University of Oxford - Politics, Philosophy and Economics - First Class
- Graduate Diploma in Law - City Law School - Distinction
- BPTC - BPP - Very Competent
- Astbury Scholarship - Middle Temple
- Michell Scholarship - Queen’s College Oxford
Oil and Gas Arbitration Club
3PB calls for Australia-style laws after Grenfell Phase 1 Report
Two of 3PB’s specialist construction barristers have today called for Australia-style legislation for the house and building construction industry after the G...Read more
Nick Kaplan and Nigel Ribbands to take part in London Adjudication Society Panel Event
3PB Barristers Nigel Ribbands and Nick Kaplan have been invited by the Adjudication Society London and South East Region to be on the panel of their Adjudicatio...Read more
3PB hosts Midlands Arbitration Society debate
3PB Barristers hosts a lively panel debate presented by The Midlands Adjudication Society discussing recent case studies. Thanks to Tim Willis at the Adjudicati...Read more