Ian gives advice on Islamic and Middle East law to English or foreign clients, particularly in the fields of civil and commercial law, banking law (especially Islamic banking and finance issues) and estate planning (including Shari’a compliant trusts which he has helped to develop and other succession issues).
He has acted as an expert witness on Islamic and Middle East laws in courts and tribunals throughout the world and his clients include UK and US governments and many of the governments, public authorities and major corporations of the Middle East with special reference to Saudi Arabia and the Gulf.
Examples of work
- He recently advised Nissan in a major arbitration in Japan on the Saudi law of agency
- He advised Victor Dahdaleh in the bribery action brought against him by the SFO on Bahraini law which subsequently saw Mr Dahdaleh acquitted
- He advised on the creation of a Shari’a compliant investment fund for a high ranking Saudi investor
- He advised the SFO on Saudi Arabian law in the British Aerospace bribery case
- He advised the Foreign Office on Egyptian law in the case of Abu Hamza
- He advised the Candy brothers on Qatari law in the claim concerning the Chelsea barracks
- He advised the Kuwaiti Oil minister in the Gruppo Torras litigation
- He assisted in the drafting of the Islamic Finance legislation for Malaysian offshore island of Labuan
- He acted as the as the expert on Saudi Arabian law on behalf of Maan Al-Sanea in Saudi Arabia’s biggest insolvency in proceedings in New York, the Cayman Islands and London
- He acts regularly as counsel and arbitrator in international commercial arbitrations involving Middle East and foreign legal matters
- He was the main Counsel on behalf of the Angolan State Diamond Corporation in three related arbitrations in Lisbon, London and Rio de Janeiro that arose out of Angola’s termination of various diamond concessions with De Beers
- He acted in Stockholm as an arbitrator in a dispute concerning a major agency contract between a Yemeni company and a major Chinese multinational
- He acted in Paris as an arbitrator under the ICC rules concerning termination of a Syrian pharmaceutical contract with a global international
- He was appointed Chairman of an arbitration panel on an issue concerning the selling and exporting of Iraqi oil.
Ian Edge is ranked as a Tier 1 Leading junior in the Legal 500 Middle East: The English Bar for his commercial expertise.
Legal 500 2023/Middle East: The English Bar/Commercial/Leading juniors - Tier 1
‘Ian is very knowledgeable about the UAE legal system and, more broadly, its relationship with the political system. To the extent that the law is not clear, Ian nonetheless gives pragmatic and usable advice.’
Legal 500 2022/Middle East: The English Bar/Commercial/Leading juniors