Faizul Azman is regularly instructed on a broad range of Commercial Law matters. He provides advice, drafts pleadings, and represents clients in litigation at both interlocutory and final hearings. Faizul’s commercial practice is focussed on the following areas:
- Contractual disputes
- Supply of goods and services
- Director/Shareholder disputes
- Professional liability
- Non-Contentious – Corporate Governance Structures.
Faizul also accepts instructions on Intellectual Property (“IP”) matters. Prior to coming to the Bar, Faizul was a Senior Policy Advisor in the Copyright and Enforcement Directorate at the UK Intellectual Property Office (“UKIPO”). During his time at the UKIPO, Faizul represented the UK at the Standing Committee on Copyright and Related Rights (“SCCR”) at the World Intellectual Property Organisation (“WIPO”) in Geneva and at the EU working groups to implement the Marrakesh Treaty by way of Directive, Regulation and UK legislation into EU and UK Law.
As a Senior Policy Advisor, Faizul also managed and developed the copyright exceptions policy, responded to copyright enquiries, met stakeholders and drafted briefs to senior government ministers and officials.
Faizul’s overlapping practice in commercial and employment law matters compliments his IP practice.
Faizul’s recent commercial work includes:
- Successfully struck out a Defence to a £90,000 claim.
- Drafted pleadings and successfully settled a claim for 90% of its value prior to a hearing for Summary Judgment to recover money when a wedding was cancelled due to the Pandemic. Faizul pleaded force majeure/frustration of contract.
- Advised on the merits of bringing a misrepresentation claim against a property developer for increasing the property owner’s liability without their knowledge prior to purchasing the property.
- Advised on the merits of bringing a claim for breach of contract against an independent school when they failed to provide a service that was contracted at a time when the Government closed schools due to the Pandemic.
- Advised on the merits of resisting an appeal where the court had made overlapping and contradictory Orders for an Order of Sale of a property because of a successfully clam.
- Advised and drafted a Defence following a claim for a right to reject a motorhome worth £50,000 under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.
- Advised on the merits of brining a professional liability claim against a solicitor.
- Advised on the merits of bringing a professional liability claim against a Trade Union on behalf of a university lecturer.
- Advised on the corporate governance structure for a public body.
“… he was excellent, and the help he provided assisted greatly in a positive result. His notes were excellent and his involvement during the hearing cross checking etc under considerable pressure was well beyond which you would expect from his level of qualification” - Partner (Solicitor)
“… Overall, my experience of instructing Faizul has been very positive, and I did seek to instruct him again, though he was unavailable on this occasion… I look forward to instructing him again” - Solicitor
“… As soon as we spoke, I realised I was in exactly in the right hands. You did a great job putting me at ease even with the tech issues I was having. You must have been told before that you have a great bedside manner. Thank you so much for getting me over the final hurdle with such a great result… If the opportunity to recommend you ever comes my way I most definitely will” - Lay Client
“… All in all, the service he provided was excellent and I would have no qualms about using Faizul again, or recommending his services” - Local Authority
“Notwithstanding the result, my clients were very impressed with Mr Azman” - Solicitor
“A great result” - Solicitor
- LLB (Hons) Law Accelerated Route – 2:1
- BPTC (The University of Law, London) – Very Competent
- The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Scholarship, Major Award, Middle Temple
- Constitutional and Administrative Law Bar Association (ALBA)
- Employment Lawyers Association (ELA)
- Employment Law Bar Association (ELBA)
- Education Law Association (ELA)