Tom Webb is experienced in a variety of clinical negligence matters, including claims arising from dental, GP, hospital and physiotherapy treatment. Instructions have included requests to draft pre-action correspondence under the protocol, as well as conduct of matters once issued. As well as claims against the NHS, Tom has experience of claims concerning private hospitals, partnerships and the military.
Tom’s PI practice has involved matters whereby cosmetic surgery is in issue (either in terms of injury undermining such previous surgery or where cosmetic surgery is recommended in the future) and so he is well placed to deal with clinical negligence claims arising in the cosmetic field.
In 2018 Tom was instructed as a junior in an ongoing multi-million pound child brain injury case. The claim arises from a negligent failure to respond to hypoglycaemia shortly after birth.
Examples of recent cases include:
- Junior in multi-million pound child brain injury case.
- Negligent removal of wisdom teeth;
- Bowel injury sustained during an appendectomy;
- Failure to adequately treat broken fingers at a fracture clinic;
- Failure by a physiotherapist to refer a patient for further treatment following scan results in respect of a back injury, thus delaying remedial surgery;
- Haemophiliac suffering extensive bleed during surgery due to alleged failure to adequately plan the operation;
- Allegedly negligent conduct of a caesarean section;
- Failure to refer a patient for further expert opinion in respect of an ankle injury;
- Allegedly negligent failure to detect an ectopic pregnancy;
- Negligent division of thumb tendon in a minor;
- Failure to diagnose swine flu and pneumonia;
1st Jun 2020
3PB personal injury and clinical negligence barrister Tom Webb attended Winchester County Court on Thursday 28th May in what is believed to have been one of the first civil trials to be heard in person since lockdown began. His observations on what fellow barristers, solicitors, lay clients, witnesses and judges will be going back to in the coming weeks are set out in this article.
- LLB (Hons)
- BVC (BPP London)
- Middle Temple Lowry Scholar
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Fee-Paid Judge of the First-tier Tribunal, Social Entitlement Chamber
- Thames Valley Police Disciplinary Hearing Independent Panel Member
- Part-time lecturer 2014/2015, Winchester University
- Personal Injuries Bar Association
- Western Circuit
Tom Webb is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information