Health and Safety law
Tom has significant experience representing clients in Health and Safety and Inquest cases. His work has included:
- WDDC v G – Successful Health and Safety prosecution relating to an inflatable slide that came free from its tethers at the Swanage Regatta causing injury to a number of children.
- CBC v Centre Parcs (Woburn) Ltd – Prosecution of Centre Parc involving an 8-year-old girl who fell from height during a tree climbing activity at Luton Crown Court. The case ended with the Defendant company being fined £250,000.
- SBC v N+B– Defending a company with a multi-million-pound turnover in respect of alleged Health and Safety breaches involving lighting levels and the operation of fork-lift trucks.
- WDDC v And So To Bed Ltd – Successful prosecution arising from a fall from height involving an unsafe elevated mobile working platform. Fine imposed of £110,000.
- HSE v LHSC Ltd. Defence of Health and Safety Consultant in an unusual prosecution arising from the drafting of inadequate risk assessments and advice to a furniture manufacturer. The Prosecution arose following two serious accidents involving cutting equipment.
- HSE v GC. Defence of agricultural college in respect of serious injuries caused to students observing tree-felling.
- HSE v PG Ltd. Prosecution involving serious chemical burns caused by the incorrect use of an Intermediate Bulk Carrier as a reaction vessel to dispose of spent cleaning chemicals.
- HSE v UF Ltd. De-gloving injury caused during the cleaning of an industrial dough maker.
- HSE v BB Ltd. Collapse of basement excavation leading to prosecution of developer.
- HSE v Apex. Defending a scaffolding gang leader following a collapse of scaffolding resulting in fatality.
- HSE v G. Defence of contractor instructed to decommission a petrol station. The resulting explosion caused serious injury and extensive damage to neighbouring properties.
- HSE v R.S Ltd. Proceedings relating to the alleged unsafe removal of asbestos.
Tom is appointed to the Specialist Regulatory Advocates in H&S and Environmental Law List.
"I would like to thank you for your diligent work on this case. Your client care and commitment to the case was exceptional. Your willingness to “go the extra mile” was impressive and proved crucial. Your planning and delivery of the cross examination proved decisive. An ok case (partly because of the statute) transformed into a strong case, according to his honour the Judge, before our very eyes, as our opponent was exposed as a liar."
Instructing solicitor, 2017
"Tom was brilliant, stood head and shoulders above the other barristers"
Instructing solicitor, 2016
Has a robust practice in regulatory offences that sees him instructed by a range of parties including public sector bodies, companies and private individuals. He also handles cases concerning violent crime and sexual abuse, as well as fraud and drug offences. Additionally, he has expertise in cases involving regulatory offences.
Strengths: "He is an extremely affable barrister who deals with difficult clients with commendable patience. He delivers calm and measured advocacy with the right amount of flair and is an exceptionally impressive trial advocate and lawyer behind the scenes."
Recent work: Defended a care worker accused of assaulting and abusing a large number of mentally and physically disabled residents at an adult care home.
Chambers UK Bar 2020/Crime - Band 2
"His advice is always clear and concise and precisely what is required. His client care and commitment is exceptional. His willingness to go the extra mile has been impressive."
Recent work: Prosecuted an organised criminal gang controlling the supply class A drugs across the South of England.
Chambers UK Bar 2019/Crime
Strengths: "He is meticulous and tenacious, both in terms of his preparation and his conduct of cases in court." "He is smart, clever and pragmatic."
Chambers UK Bar 2018/Crime
Strengths: "Very able, a rising star."'
Chambers UK Bar 2017/Crime
'Praised by instructing solicitors for his expertise in cases concerning fraud, drugs and other serious criminal offences.
Strengths: "He has a particular skill in dealing with extremely demanding clients. He is very committed to his work and is very accessible when it comes to seeking advice or updates."'
Chambers UK 2016/Crime
'...covers the full range of criminal offences, and is best recognised for his expertise in regulatory criminal cases. He receives regular instructions from local authorities, government bodies and insurers in relation to cases concerning health and safety, trading standards, environmental, aviation and maritime issues.
Expertise: "His advocacy is very good and he impresses with his knowledge of legislation and case law in niche areas."'
Chambers UK 2015/Crime
‘He is an exceptionally impressive advocate; calm and measured, with just the right amount of flair.'
Legal 500 2020/Crime – Leading juniors - Tier 1
‘His preparation is meticulous and he inspires confidence in his clients.’
Legal 500 2020/Regulatory, health and safety, and licensing - Leading Juniors - Tier 1
‘An unruffled barrister with a light touch.’
Legal 500 2018/19/Crime – Leading juniors - Tier 1
‘Experienced across a broad spectrum of criminal cases.’
Legal 500 2017/Crime – Leading juniors
'An excellent advocate with a strong courtroom presence.'
Legal 500 2016/Crime – Leading juniors
'He is led, and often leads, in some of the most complex cases, including those involving serious violence'
Legal 500 2015/Crime – Leading juniors
'Particularly highly regarded for his ability to handle the most serious and complex cases.'
Legal 500 2014/Crime
'...attracts praise, and is ‘very good at explaining procedure and tactics to clients’
'Particularly highly regarded for his ability to handle the most serious and complex cases'
Legal 500 2013/Crime
- BA (Hons) History, University of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
- PGDL and BVC, BPP Law School
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Attorney-General’s Unified List of Prosecuting Advocates (Panel C)
- Specialist Regulatory Advocates in H&S and Environmental Law List.
Tom Horder is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
Three 3PB Barristers appointed to the list of Specialist Regulatory Advocates in Health and Safety and Environmental Law
National chambers 3PB Barristers is delighted to announce the appointment of three of its barristers to the list of Specialist Regulatory Advocates in Health an...Read more
3PB Criminal Barristers secure multiple life sentences in multi-handed murder trial
Following a 6 week trial at Portsmouth Crown Court, 3 defendants were convicted of the murder of Richard Hardy on 26 January 2018 and have been sentenced to lif...Read more
3PB barrister Tom Horder in Centre Parcs prosecution resulting in £250,000 fine after girl falls from tree
Tom Horder, instructed by Central Bedfordshire Council, successfully prosecuted CP Woburn (Operating Company) Ltd in respect of a fall from height. An 8 year ol...Read more