Property and Estates
Property and Estates
John frequently provides advice and representation in residential property disputes including:
- Landlord and tenant disputes (eviction proceedings and disrepair claims)
- Boundary disputes
- Mortgage repossessions
- Leaseholder disputes.
He also advises commercial landlords and tenants particularly in analysing complex tenancy contracts.
John has appeared in a recorded case in the Upper Land Tribunal and has appeared on a number of occasions in First-Tier Tribunal proceedings.
John accepts instructions in this area from professionally-represented clients and via Direct Public Access.
John has experience of advising and providing representation on all areas of probate including:
- Interpretation of wills
- Invalidity of wills (for example as a result of incapacity and the operation of the "golden rule")
- The rights and duties of executors.
John has particular experience of representing parties at the mediation of probate-related disputes.
- University of Wales, Swansea, LLB Law, 1st class degree (top 1st) (2011)
- University of Oxford, Bachelor of Civil Law (2013)
- Cardiff University, BPTC, Outstanding.
- Best Orator, Oxford International Media Law Moot 2013
- Semi-Finalist, Oxford International Intellectual Property Moot 2013
- Beneficiary of the James Pantyfedwen Foundation, 2012
- Iscoed Chambers Prize, 2011
- Sweet and Maxwell Prize, 2011
- Chancery Bar Association
- Technology and Construction Bar Association
John Jessup is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
3PB barrister John Jessup appears in and analyses High Court case on proprietary estoppel
John Jessup reflects on a recent High Court case in which he appeared and which sheds further light on proprietary estoppel in contracts for the sale of land. C...Read more
Commercial update - John Jessup: The interests of creditors on insolvency at common law. Have the goalposts moved?
The Court of Appeal has handed down its landmark judgment in Sequana, in the Insolvency sphere (BTI 2014 LLC v Sequana S.A.  EWCA Civ 112). How likely doe...Read more
Through a glass darkly: reflections on reflective loss by 3PB Commercial Barrister John Jessup
John Jessup considers the recent Court of Appeal decision of Marex Financial Limited  EWCA Civ 1468 which answers the question of whether the rule against...Read more