James has practiced in personal injury since 1997. His experience includes serious road traffic accidents (often acting for motor manufacturers), employers' and occupiers' liability and fatal accident claims. He predominantly (but not exclusively) acts for defendants.
He has been involved in advising on criminal prosecutions arising from accidents and has developed a particular expertise in defending fraudulent and exaggerated claims, particularly those arising from road traffic accidents, in which he advises from an early stage. He has extensive experience in counterclaiming in the tort of deceit, and has successfully secured damages for insurer clients as a result. He frequently adopts tactics designed to defeat fraudulent claims without the need to go to a final trial.
James has also been extensively involved in litigation arising from maritime and offshore accidents, including catastrophic and fatal accidents occurring on board vessels and offshore installations. In addition, he has handled claims for the aviation market, which often involved multiple loss of life. He frequently has had to deal with issues of jurisdiction and conflict of laws.
James acts primarily for defendants, but does undertake a certain amount of CFA work.
James has undertaken a large number of inquests on behalf of defendants, local authorities and police forces. These include:
- Re Roger and Susan Goswell - representing Sussex Police in an inquest where Mrs Goswell reported her husband's intention to kill her and then himself, before very shortly doing so;
- Re Mr Weston - representing the police in an inquest before a jury where a teenager chased by police ran over a wall with a high drop on the other side, and died as a result;
- Re Jay Abatan - representing the police in an inquest where the deceased was killed in a fight outside a nightclub, amidst allegations of racism on the part of the aggressor and the police during the subsequent investigation;
- Re Richard Copithorne - representing Sussex Police in an inquest before a jury where a vulnerable man with schizophrenia committed suicide following a sustained period of financial abuse and harassment by a person purporting to be his carer.
James can be instructed on a Direct Access basis.
‘A measured and effective advocate. A quick thinking knowledgeable barrister who is never fazed by anything thrown his way at court.’
Legal 500 2021/Police law (defendant)/Leading Juniors/Tier 3/London
‘He defends the police against misconduct allegations.'
Legal 500 2020/Police law (defendant)
‘Very knowledgeable in anti-social behaviour, and no matter what is thrown at him he ahs the right answer.’
Legal 500 2018/19/Police law (defendant)
‘He knows his subject extremely well and sees where a case is going before it even goes to court.’
Legal 500 2017/Police law (defendant)
- BA (Hons) History
- Common Professional Law Exam
- Legal Practice Course
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Accredited mediator (SPC)
- Personal Injuries Bar Association
James Trumble is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information