Public and Regulatory
Charlotte is an expert in all aspects of education law, and in disciplinary and regulatory proceedings.
Charlotte is passionate about education and enjoys a wide and varied practice covering the full spectrum of education law and related regulatory law. She is regularly instructed on behalf of parents, young people, students, schools, academies, HE providers, local authorities, universities and Early Years and Child Care providers/practitioners.
Her work includes:
- SEND appeals
- Discrimination (including disability discrimination) claims in the FTT and County Court
- Judicial reviews
- Governance issues relating to academies and free schools
- School/parent relationships, including parent bans, internal complaints, Protection from Harassment
- Admissions (including infant class size appeals, lawfulness of admissions arrangements, compatibility of admissions arrangements with the Equality Act 2010 and Human Rights Act)
- Exclusion appeals
- Appeals by Early Years and Child Care providers and practitioners against cancellation of registration by Ofsted
- Contractual and tortious claims against education providers
- Issues relating to safeguarding, CRB, DBA disclosures
- Internal academic appeals by university students
- NCTL proceedings (see also Charlotte’s Public and Regulatory profile)
- School fee disputes
- Employment Tribunal proceedings (see also Charlotte’s Employment profile)
- Charlotte regularly provides training on education law to a variety of different audiences, including LEAs, solicitors, university student advisors, lay panel members and parents.
- Oxfordshire County Council v JL  EWHC 798 (Admin)
- SN v Nottinghamshire County Council  UKUT 002 (AAC)
Disciplinary and Regulatory Proceedings
Charlotte accepts instructions in respect of all of the professional regulators, including teachers before the NCTL, regulated healthcare practitioners before the HCPC, GMC, GDC, GOC etc, and solicitors before the SDT.
Charlotte also acts for students pursuing qualifications in the regulated sector, whether they are facing action from the external regulator, or internal disciplinary action from their course provider.
Charlotte specialised in criminal law for the first 6 years of her practice and has since specialised in education, regulatory and employment law. She has an excellent understanding both of the regulatory/criminal law that governs regulatory proceedings, and of the persuasive advocacy required to achieve the best possible result for her clients. Charlotte is also able to advise clients on associated legal action, e.g. judicial review in respect of publication decisions.
Recent work includes:
- Representing a student nurse facing internal disciplinary action and removal from their nursing degree
- Representing a solicitor accused by the SRA of misleading the court
- Representing a solicitor accused by the SRA of failing to act with integrity and compromising client confidentiality
- Representing a teacher accused by the NCTL of “grooming” a pupil
- Representing a registered psychologist before the HCPC
‘A well respected counsel.’
Legal 500 2018/Leading Individual – Education
‘A diplomatic advocate with great interpersonal skills.’
Legal 500 2017/Leading Individual – Education
- LLB (Hons)
- LLM, London School of Economics
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Accredited Mediation Advocate
Charlotte Hadfield is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
£350m of additional funding is to be made available to support children with special educational needs and disabilities
Children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) are set to benefit from an extra £350 million funding to provide specialist support and tailore...Read more
Alex Line and Charlotte Hadfield education law barristers provide in house training
On 14th April Alex Line and Charlotte Hadfield of the 3PB's education law team provided training to Somerset County Council on school admissions law. The talk i...Read more