Property and Estates
Antonida regularly advises and represents both commercial and private clients in property law disputes at application hearings, CCMCs, PTRs and trials, as well as drafting necessary documents for issuing and defending claims. She undertakes work in all areas of property law including:
- Boundary disputes and claims for trespass and nuisance
- Disputes over covenants, easements and rights of way
- Landlord and tenant disputes, including possession hearings and breaches of covenant and housing disrepair
- Forfeiture and possession of commercial premises, including dilapidations and leasehold renewal proceedings
- Agricultural tenancies and assured agricultural occupancies
- Service charge disputes
- Applications under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996
- Proceedings relating to social housing, mobile homes and licensed premises
- Registration issues
- Vesting orders.
In addition to pure property work, Antonida is growing a particular specialism in cases where property and family issues overlap in the context of TOLATA applications. She has recently represented two clients in TOLATA/Schedule 1 cross-applications in the context of Islamic marriages (where a Nikah ceremony was not followed by a civil ceremony).
Other recent cases have included:
- Representing the claimant in possession proceedings between family members where defences were based on TOLATA constructive trust arguments and proprietary estoppel
- Representing a long leaseholder pro bono as junior counsel to Cheryl Jones in the First-Tier Tribunal challenging service charges for a waking watch and post-Grenfell remedial works to cladding on a residential tower block
- Defending possession proceedings on the basis of the tenancy constituting an assured agricultural occupancy (appeal pending)
- Attending a shareholder meeting of a freehold company on behalf of a leaseholder
- Representation of a freehold purchaser at a pre-trial review in a claim arising out of misrepresentation as to the history of flooding at the property
- Advising a leaseholder on rectification of a mistake in registration of a garage under two titles.
Antonida’s experience of family and Court of Protection work complements her property practice, and she is keen to undertake more TOLATA, Inheritance Act and probate work.
- University of Oxford, MA Jurisprudence
- BPP University, BPTC (Outstanding)
- Buchanan Prize (Lincoln’s Inn)
- Lord Denning Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
- Hardwicke Entrance Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn)
- Family Law Bar Association
- Property Bar Association
- Housing Law Practitioners’ Association
- Haldane Society of Socialist Lawyers
Antonida Kocharova is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information