Public and Regulatory
As well as being a valued tenant at 3PB Barristers, Alice is also working very closely with Ofsted providing specialist advisory and advocacy services in all areas it inspects and regulates, from social care to independent schools to unregistered schools. Alice’s experience has been used at Ofsted to focus on Equality Act matters and drafting guidance for their inspectors. She maintains a busy practice whilst working alongside Ofsted and has managed to develop a growing practice within chambers.
Alice’s successful education and public law practices has been affirmed with her appointment as Junior Counsel for Ofsted in the Independent Inquiry into Child Sex Abuse (IICSA).
Within Alice role as junior counsel she is actively involved with the Inquiry’s investigations of:
- Child Sexual Exploitation by Organised Networks (Oxford, Rochdale, Rotherham and Telford)
- The Roman Catholic Church
- Residential Schools
- Nottinghamshire Councils
- Lambeth Council
Alice is currently on the Attorney General’s list of Junior Counsel, and her work has included acting on a range of cases including the Kenyan Emergency Group Litigation. Whilst working with the Government Legal Department, Alice has assisted with many matters ranging from Immigration, employment and discrimination cases.
A well-regarded junior with expertise covering a wide range of education matters. She is regularly instructed to represent government bodies, schools, universities, families and students, and is experienced in the handling of exclusions and disability discrimination claims.
Strengths: "Very knowledgeable and passionate. She really helps her clients to understand what the issues are and identifies the legal risks and next steps." "She is very approachable, very supportive to parents and very calm and collected in a stressful environment."
Recent work: Represented Ofsted in several strands of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse.
Chambers UK 2021/Education London Bar - Up and Coming
‘Very knowledgeable in her field, has excellent communication skills and is an all round great advocate.’
Legal 500 2021/Education - London - Tier 1 Rising Star
“Thank you so much for fighting our corner so hard. [My child] is over the moon. You gave me hope where before I honestly had none.”
“I spoke with my client last night and wanted to relay to you how pleased she was with yesterday. She could not praise you enough and said that you went above and beyond what she expected.”
“I thought I would pass on Mr C’s comments as to how much he appreciated your time on Friday and he said what a fantastic Barrister that you are. I thought you should know how much he thought of you.”
- City Law School GDL (Commendation)
- City Law School BPTC (Very Competent)
- Durham University BA Hons Theology (2:1)
- "Just Rights" Human Rights - the Big Voice Mooting Competition Champion, 2013, winning in the final at the Supreme Court
- In 2012 the School Exclusion Project won the Bar Pro Bono Award
- In 2014 the School Exclusion Project was runner up in the Attorney General LawWorks Pro Bono Awards for ‘Best Contribution by a Team of Students’.
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Attorney General’s Junior Junior panel
- Editorial Board Member of Counsel Magazine.
- Education Law Association (ELAS)
- Personal Injury Bar Association (PIBA)
- Centre for Women's Justice
Alice de Coverley is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information