Alice acts in a wide range of contractual matters.
Alice has particular experience and interest in contractual matters arising in the education sector. In particular, she specialises in breach of contract claims involving schools and universities.
She also has particular experience in contracts regarding the sale of goods, supply of services, consumer credit, school fees and debt recovery actions. She conducts claims involving issues such as agency, construction of contracts, misrepresentation and duress.
Alice has an extensive understanding of credit hire and subrogated claims on behalf of insurers, with an in depth knowledge of the relevant statutes and case law. She has conducted successful Circuit Judge appeals in this area.
Recent examples of cases Alice has been involved in include:
- Successfully representing a parent in a claim for breach of contract against their child’s independent school.
- Successfully defending universities in applications to strike out claims for disability discrimination and/or breach of contract.
- Successfully representing a nurse at the County Court in the recovery of her unpaid wages from an employment contract.
- Successfully defending a claim against an Architect for unpaid fees on the basis of improper conduct in how the fee was calculated and the substandard way in which the works were performed.
- Successfully representing a joiner, in defending a claim for breach of contract in relation to extensive works done on the claimant’s doors and windows.
“I spoke with my client last night and wanted to relay to you how pleased she was with yesterday. She could not praise you enough and said that you went above and beyond what she expected.”
“I thought I would pass on Mr C’s comments as to how much he appreciated your time on Friday and he said what a fantastic Barrister that you are. I thought you should know how much he thought of you.”
- City Law School GDL (Commendation)
- City Law School BPTC (Very Competent)
- Durham University BA Hons Theology (2:1)
- "Just Rights" Human Rights - the Big Voice Mooting Competition Champion, 2013, winning in the final at the Supreme Court
- In 2012 the School Exclusion Project won the Bar Pro Bono Award
- In 2014 the School Exclusion Project was runner up in the Attorney General LawWorks Pro Bono Awards for ‘Best Contribution by a Team of Students’.
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Editorial Board Member of Counsel Magazine.
- Education Law Association (ELAS)
- Personal Injury Bar Association (PIBA)
- Freehold Real Estate Networking Group
Alice de Coverley is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
3PB to host Education Law Event with ELAS
3PB are delighted to host and Education Law Event with ELAS. Please see details below: Date and Time: Tuesday November 6th at 5:45pm. Venue: The Education Law A...Read more
Johnson v University of Bristol (2017): an analysis by 3PB personal injury barrister Alice de Coverley
Alice de Coverley considers the recent Court of Appeal decision in JOHNSON v UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL (2017) (Civ) 17 October 2017 (unreported), concerning the P...Read more