Alex Leonhardt is a second six civil pupil barrister, focusing on education, employment and housing. He joined 3PB in April 2020 and is based at 3PB’s London office. Alex is available to take instructions for court representation, advocacy and advisory work.
Alex graduated top of his year on the GDL, obtaining a distinction on every paper. He was awarded the third highest mark on the BPTC with the top mark in his cohort for cross-examination and opinion writing.
Prior to his pupillage Alex worked as a paralegal in the public and housing law department at London law firm Edwards Duthie Shamash, gaining experience in community care and homelessness judicial reviews and a variety of landlord and tenant matters. He also volunteered at the Free Representation Unit on employment tribunal cases.
This followed Alex’s previous career in politics and public affairs, during which he worked in Westminster as a parliamentary researcher and then as the senior political affairs officer for a representative body in higher education.
30th Jun 2020
3PB first-six pupil barrister Alex Leonhardt reviews the case Trecarrell House Ltd v Patricia Rouncefield  EWCA Civ 760 in a detailed article.
21st Apr 2020
3PB’s Head of Property and Estates Group Matthew Cannings and Alex Leonhardt, pupil barrister, have produced an update for residential landlords and tenants during the coronavirus pandemic. The article considers the implications of the Coronavirus Act 2020 and Practice Direction 51Z of the Civil Procedure Rules and what the new provisions mean for residential landlords and tenants, including the imposition of a 90-day stay on most possession proceedings and the new three-month notice requirement.
- Bar Professional Training Course, Cardiff University 2017-18 (Very competent)
- Graduate Diploma in Law, Cardiff University, 2016-17 (Distinction)
- MA Political Philosophy, University of York, 2011-2012 (Distinction)
- BA (Hons) Philosophy, University of Cambridge, 2005-2008
- Astbury Scholarship (Major Award), Middle Temple
- Harmsworth Entrance Exhibition, Middle Temple
- Campbell Foster Prize for performance on the BPTC, Middle Temple