Mark acts for Defendants and Claimants in personal injury matters and has a related practice at inquests and in professional negligence actions arising out of personal injury claims.
Mark has a particular interest in catastrophic injury claims involving both traumatic brain injury and spinal injury and also in fatal accident claims. He has expertise in the valuation of complex damages claims involving multiple expert witnesses and, often, accountancy evidence. He has wide experience in acting for children and protected parties.
Mark has long experience acting in claims arising out of injury connected to marine activities. Claims experience includes claims by both crew and passengers for injury aboard car ferries, cruise ships and cargo vessels and a claim involving a piracy attack against a cruise ship. He has also acted in claims relating to injury in leisure and light craft including canoes, white water inflatables, sailing boats, power boats, canal barges, speed boats, ribs and rib racing. Mark also has considerable experience in claims arising out of the shipping container industry, including injury relating to the loading and unloading of cargo, both on board vessels and on the quayside and involving container terminal practices and machinery.
His experience extends to injury arising in a wide variety of circumstances including the following:
- Accidents at work, with particular emphasis in the construction, docks, assembly line production and logistics industries
- Industrial disease, with particular emphasis on asbestosis related disease and work related upper limb disorders
- Psychiatric injury, stress at work and harassment
- Road traffic accidents, with particular emphasis on motor cycle accidents
- Other transport incidents including marine accidents, injury on the railway and air transport claims
- Injury by animals, including both the common issues of dogs and horses but also other species from cattle to elephants
- Military accidents and injury claims
- Historic (and recent) sexual abuse
- Injury caused by criminal assault, including deliberate injury with motor vehicles, marine piracy, physical assault, rape, shooting and murder.
- G - Multiple injury, including brain injury suffered by a pedestrian hit by a bus, injury further complicated by a fresh brain injury after hospital discharge, yet again compounded by a poor outcome from a later remedial neurosurgical procedure. Claim complicated by the claimant's prior ankylosing spondylosis and paranoid schizophrenia.
- M – Serious brain injury caused to pedestrian run over when crossing the road at night. Substantial dispute over liability and quantum complicated by pre-existing psychiatric conditions.
- B - Lorry driver unable to retain an HGV licence and his employment, following facial injuries, the loss of one eye and severe psychological injury after being struck in the face by a defective container door.
- D - Motorcyclist suffering nerve injury, psychological and spinal injury following a collision with a car, which turned in front of him. The quantum was complicated by the fact that he had suffered serious spinal injury in a prior accident. Inability to run a successful business and substantial losses arising.
- B - Mesothelioma claim based upon exposure in the construction industry and complicated by circumstances of low exposure.
- B - Acting for the widow of former engineer in electricity generating stations, who died of mesothelioma after asbestos exposure working in a number of different stations.
- B - Acting for the family of a motorcyclist killed in a collision with a car. Claim complicated by the fact that the motorcyclist was travelling at extreme speed (over 100 mph in a 50 mph limit) when a car pulled out in front of him on the limits of visibility.
- T - Acting for the family of builder killed when falling from a ladder whilst fitting double glazing. Liability was disputed on the basis that he was a self-employed sub-contractor responsible for his own working arrangements and health and safety and that the general work method was safe and the accident caused solely by his personal error.
- A - Acting for the widow of a 70 year old professor of agriculture electrocuted by the domestic electricity supply of a privately rented house on a large country estate within a few weeks of taking the lease.
- S - Acting for the widow of a driver killed in a road accident. The deceased witnessed an accident on a dual carriageway and stopped and walked back to assist the injured driver. As he did so another vehicle also stopped and reversed back to the accident site and in so doing ran him down and killed him.
- G - Severe, traumatic brain injury caused to a man hit by a double decker bus on a city centre pedestrian crossing at night, resulting in a catastrophic injury claim.
- G - Teenage, rear seat car passenger suffered a severe traumatic brain injury following the loss of control of the car and collision with a tree, resulting in a catastrophic injury claim.
- B - A flooded road caused the claimant to cross to the opposing carriageway and collide with an oncoming car. The other driver suffered fatal injury and the claimant suffered multiple injury, including psychiatric injury causing him to take his own life 5 years later, leading to a Fatal Accidents Act claim.
- L - Serviceman killed by a car whilst on a pedestrian crossing, giving rise to a substantial Fatal Accidents Act claim
- W - Motorcyclist killed by van turning across his path, leading to a substantial Fatal Accidents Act claim
- G - Severe hand injury caused by entrapment in machinery in a container terminal
- S – Severe neck injury caused when construction worker struck by falling materials on a building site
- M – Bilateral HAVS and carpal tunnel syndrome caused by using vibrating hand tools at work as a metal fabricator
- E - Claim for damages for advanced pleural thickening caused by direct industrial asbestos exposure
- A – Claim for damages for mesothelioma caused by childhood exposure to asbestos dust from father’s overalls in the 1960’s
- F - Death from mesothelioma; direct industrial exposure
- S - Death from mesothelioma; environmental exposure through living and working nearby an asbestos factory in the 1940’s and 1960’s.
- M & E – Sexual abuse of children by mother’s partner during the 1970’s
- I – Death of crew member following collision between a dredger and a sailing yacht at sea
- M - Death from mesothelioma; environmental exposure when working as a caretaker in a school.
For many years, Mark has undertaken the representation of interested parties at Inquests, whether in short form, Jamieson type, proceedings or the more wide ranging inquiry of Middleton type proceedings mandated by Article 2 ECHR and both with and without a jury.
Mark is well versed in the differing approaches required to represent the interests of a bereaved family as well as those of an interest party whose potential responsibility for a death may become the focus of the proceedings and is experienced in the representation of both.
He has previously been involved in cases:
Within the clinical care field, including the deaths of babies and those who lack mental capacity, concerning:
- Failure to diagnose a condition and treat a patient, for instance: cardiac failure / respiratory distress
- Failure to monitor and support patients with high care needs, for instance: tracheotomy or parenteral nutrition requirements
- Death in the course of or immediately consequent upon surgery
- Death linked to prescribed, potentially harmful, medication
- Care of the elderly, nursing home falls and neglect.
Outside the clinical negligence field, concerning:
- Highway defect
- Road traffic collision
- Industrial accident
- Light aircraft crash
- Canal boat / lock fatality
- Murder by a prisoner on licence.
Mark Lomas has a broad skill set encompassing industrial disease, occupiers' liability, historic sex abuse and employers' liability claims. He is adept at handling cases involving fatal accidents and catastrophic injuries. He represents both defendants and claimants, including children and protected parties. He is particularly skilled in the valuation of complex damages claims.
Strengths: "A very experienced and consistently strong performer. He provides an excellent service." "He is an exceptional barrister that I would trust with any case."
Chambers UK 2022/Personal Injury/Western Bar
Chiefly acts for claimants in cases of the utmost severity, including those concerning catastrophic injury and fatal accident claims. He also handles a variety of surgical negligence, dental negligence and delayed diagnosis matters, and is well regarded for his representation of vulnerable clients and minors. Claimants can further benefit from his substantial experience in the valuation of complex future loss claims as well as claims for provisional damages.
Strengths: "Very efficient, detailed, and he ensures that all the information required is requested and analysed." "He inspires confidence, never panics and sees trouble before it touches the horizon."
Chambers UK 2022/Clinical Negligence/Western Bar
Strengths: "He's incredibly thorough and extremely analytical. He's also excellent in court." "The standard and quality of his work and service is exemplary." "He's commercially minded, entirely approachable and a very sharp advocate."
Chambers UK 2021/Personal Injury/Western Bar
Strengths: "Very meticulous and knowledgeable. He leaves no stone unturned but he provides his advice in a concise and timely manner. He is very helpful and extremely easy to work with." "A sharp advocate who is commercially minded, entirely approachable and a force to be reckoned with."
Recent work: Represented the claimant in a claim brought against North Bristol NHS Trust concerning a delay in diagnosing a recurrent brain tumour.
Chambers UK 2021/Clinical Negligence/Western Bar
Strengths: "He's meticulous in his preparation and has the ability to immediately strike up relations with clients in very difficult situations. He's also very good in front of judges and is very thoughtful in the way he presents cases." "He is incredibly hard-working, approachable, knowledgeable and hands-on – an all-round superb barrister."
Chambers UK 2020/Personal Injury/Western Bar
Strengths: "He certainly is always very empathetic with clients and conscientious about what he's doing. It's not just 'a case' to him, it's 'their' case. He treats every case like that."
Recent work: Acted for the claimant in a case against Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust, in which repeated gastrointestinal surgery was alleged to have led to the claimant's chronic pain and inability to take solid food.
Chambers UK 2020/Clinical Negligence/Western Bar
"He provides practical solutions which inevitably result in sensible outcomes." "He's very, very detailed and leaves no stone unturned. He's also excellent with clients and is really able to bring things down to a level that clients can easily understand."
Recent work: Acted in Farmer v Hussain, a case in which the claimant was knocked down by a bus on a pedestrian crossing and suffered a head injury.
Chambers UK 2019/Personal Injury/Western Bar
"Very competent with technical liability issues." "His advice and guidance throughout a matter, however complex, is always superb. His attention to detail is second to none." "He has excellent judgement, superb people skills, and an air of confidence but not arrogance that sets him apart."
Chambers UK 2019/Clinical Negligence/Western Bar
Strengths: "A very good cross-examiner and a tough opponent." "He is very experienced and provides a consistently high quality of service, with sound judgement and a forensic attention to detail." "An excellent senior junior who knows exactly what is needed evidentially to win difficult cases. He has good manner with challenging clients."
Chambers UK 2018/Personal Injury/Western Bar
'Chiefly acts for claimants in cases of the utmost severity, including those concerning catastrophic injury and fatal accident claims. He also handles a variety of surgical negligence, dental negligence and delayed diagnosis matters, and is well regarded for his representation of vulnerable clients and minors.'
Strengths: "An excellent senior junior who knows exactly what is needed evidentially to win difficult cases and he has a good manner with challenging clients." "In mediation he is very calm, considered and carries a lot of kudos." "Excellent with clients and experts."
Chambers UK 2018/Clinical Negligence/Western Bar
'Focuses on representing claimants in a wide range of maximum severity cases including those relating to catastrophic injury. His practice covers the London Bar and Western Circuit. He routinely acts in surgical negligence matters and delay in diagnoses. In addition, he is adept at dental claims.
Strengths: "Excellent with clients and experts." "He's exceptional at what he does due to his experience over the years. He instils a great deal of confidence in the clients."'
Chambers UK 2017/Clinical Negligence/Western Bar
Strengths: "A superb advocate with meticulous attention to detail." "He is extremely good at analysing complex issues."'
Chambers UK 2017/Personal Injury/Western Bar
'An experienced practitioner whose practice includes clinical negligence and personal injury. He practises across both the London Bar and Western Circuit on behalf of both claimants and defendants. He is frequently instructed to handle matters dealing with the most serious harm, including fatal accidents and catastrophic injury.
Strengths: "Silk material. He is very bright, gives clear advice to his clients and in conference is very good at understanding the key issues in the case without getting bogged down. He's also very good on his feet and is a very solid advocate."'
Chambers UK 2016/Clinical Negligence/Western Bar
'Represents both claimants and defendants in a wide range of personal injury cases. He is praised for his attention to detail and strong analytical skills.
Strengths: "His strength is his analysis and judgement on how to deal with a case effectively." "He's very strong on the mathematical side of the schedules of loss."'
Chambers UK 2016/Personal Injury/Western Bar
'...focuses on high-value injury claims arising from RTAs. He is widely praised for his ability to handle highly technical details in complex cases.
Expertise: "He is extremely good and his attention to detail is second to none."'
Chambers UK 2015/Personal Injury/Western Bar
'...has a broad clinical negligence practice which includes dental and therapy work. The range of his work covers minor to catastrophic injuries, and fatalities.
Expertise: "He is extremely thorough and works very hard." "He has a very good turnaround time and is highly responsive."'
Chambers UK 2015/Clinical negligence/Western Bar
'...particularly known for his deft representation of medical professionals in cases ranging from small injury claims up to catastrophic and fatal injury cases.
Expertise: “He is excellent with clients and experts, and is a reassuring presence in a case.” “He is very efficient and definitely knows his stuff.”'
Chambers UK 2014/Clinical Negligence/Western Bar
'...specialises in high-value claims for catastrophic injuries, including those arising from RTAs and involving employers' liability. He has significant experience in claims involving complex jurisdictional issues, and is noted for his ability in negotiations.
Expertise: “He’s experienced, dependable, has a very keen eye for detail and is always able to add value to a claim. He has a forensic knowledge of the Ogden tables - haven’t come across anybody with knowledge that in-depth. He’s a statistical man.”'
Chambers UK 2014/Personal Injury/Western Bar
‘Mark is incredibly knowledgeable, experienced, very reliable and calm under pressure. He is well liked by clients, who appreciate the clear and timely advice he always provides.’
Legal 500 2022/Personal Injury/Leading Juniors/Western Circuit
‘His attention to detail is second to none. Forensic when questioning experts. A very safe and experienced pair of hands.’
Legal 500 2022/Clinical Negligence/Leading Juniors/Western Circuit
3PB ‘ An exceptional barrister: meticulous and thorough, with a brilliant, agile mind. ’
Legal 500 2022/Personal Injury/Leading Juniors/London Bar
‘Very meticulous and knowledgeable, and leaves no stones unturned yet provides his advice in a concise and timely manner.’
"Of particular note is Lomas' representation of a claimant who suffered severe neurological injury due to a brain stem tumour which had previously been removed, where the return of the tumour was missed during routine scanning and diagnosis was delayed."
Legal 500 2021/Clinical negligence/Leading juniors/Regional Bar/Western Circuit
‘Provides high quality, well considered and cogent advice in all cases.’
Legal 500 2021/Personal injury/Leading juniors/London Bar
"'A leader in his field', Mark Lomas is a key member of the personal injury team at 3PB. Lomas has a particular interest in catastrophic injury claims involving both traumatic brain injury and spinal injury and also in fatal accident claims".
‘Mark is a leader in his field and excels in all aspects of personal injury law. He is the practical, extremely user friendly, bright, tactical and focussed on the job. He brings all of the qualities of a QC.’
Legal 500 2021/Personal injury/Leading juniors/Regional Bar/Western Circuit
‘A very knowledgeable, robust litigator, who has a great manner with clients.’
Legal 500 2020/Clinical negligence/Leading juniors/Regional Bar/Western Circuit
‘He has a very good eye for detail and is adept at schedule preparation.’
Legal 500 2020/Personal injury/Leading juniors/London Bar
‘He has an excellent knowledge of all aspects of personal injury law and procedure.’
Legal 500 2020/Personal injury/Leading juniors/Regional Bar/Western Circuit
'Very consistent, high-quality performer with an eye for detail.'
Legal 500 2018/19/Personal injury/Leading juniors/London Bar
'A top-quality performer'
Legal 500 2018/19/Personal injury and clinical negligence/Leading juniors/Regional Bar/Western Circuit
'Extremely bright, professional and very good with clients'
Legal 500 2017/Personal injury/Leading juniors/London Bar
‘He is meticulous and extremely knowledgeable.’
Legal 500 2017/Personal injury and clinical negligence/Leading juniors/Regional Bar/Western Circuit
'He has extraordinary attention to detail.’
Legal 500 2016/Personal injury and clinical negligence/Leading juniors/Regional Bar/Western Circuit
'Meticulous and responsive'
Legal 500 2015/Personal injury and clinical negligence/Leading juniors/Regional Bar/Western Circuit
'Pragmatic and thorough.'
Legal 500 2014/Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence expertise/South Eastern Circuit
‘technical ability is excellent, and on a par with many silks’.
Legal 500 2013/Personal injury and clinical negligence expertise/Western Circuit
- BA (Keele)
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Accredited Mediation Advocate
- Personal Injury Bar Association (PIBA)
- Professional Negligence Bar Association (PNBA)