- Clerk Name: Sam Collins
- Clerk Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Property and Estates
Jamie Johnston is a property barrister who combines real-world experience with his legal knowledge and a forensic attention to detail. He appears frequently in multi-track and fast track cases in the Business and Property Court lists and civil lists. Solicitors repeatedly instruct him to advise and represent clients in boundary disputes, planning disputes, easements and adverse possession claims.
Jamie manages a portfolio of residential property so has a first-hand appreciation of landlord’s concerns. He is frequently instructed by landlords in residential and commercial cases for possession and forfeiture. He has substantial experience in deploying estoppel and equitable rights arguments on behalf of tenants. Jamie acts in a range of TOLATA claims.
In the past few months, Jamie has:
- Represented clients in a variety of boundary disputes including residential and non-residential cases
- Advised a commercial developer on their rights of access, impact of restrictive covenants and a potential ransom strip for a proposed new development
- Advised on several cases concerning planning permission and the prospects of challenge by Judicial Review
- Advised on restrictive covenants and prescriptive easements
- Drafted pleadings and represented clients in trespass and possession cases
"Jamie and I worked together negotiating a national sport contract. He had great attention to detail; displayed speed with which he picked up the issues; had a very effective and measured negotiating style; and was a pleasure to work with."
Rod Findlay, Sports lawyer
"At the start of lockdown Jamie offered the opportunity to be mentored by him and I was lucky enough to be accepted. It has been invaluable, candid, personalised feedback, advice and support that has already been instrumental in improving my approach a career at the bar. I now know key the areas I need to focus on to build relevant experience and improve my advocacy. Jamie continues to check in and offer support and it has meant a lot to be mentored by someone offering their experience and expertise in their personal time to give us the best footing to pursue our careers. Thank you Jamie."
Jo H, Student, Northumbria University
- BPTC, University of Law - Outstanding
- GDL, University of Law - Commendation
- BA Hons English, University of Birmingham - 2.1
- Paul Methven scholarship (Inner Temple)
Professional qualifications & appointments
- British Cycling & British Canoeing Disciplinary Panels
Jamie Johnston is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information