Ian regularly advises Middle East clients on all aspects of private international law, Islamic law and Middle East law as regards family, inheritance and property matters. He has advised members of the Royal Families of Bahrain, Dubai, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Jordan as well as many of the wealthiest families in the Middle East on all manner of matrimonial and succession problems.
- He was the expert on Saudi law in the Supreme Court case of Re S
- He was the expert for the applicant on Saudi law in the case of Harb v King Fahd
- He was the only non-Saudi expert on Saudi inheritance and trust law in the case of Al-Hamrani which is the longest running case in Guernsey legal history
- He drafted a bilateral treaty on child abduction between Egypt and the UK (which was never used).
- MA (Cantab)
- LLB (Cantab)
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Law Lecturer, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
- Chartered Arbitrator
- Accredited Mediator (Clerksroom)
- Legislative Council of the Dubai International Finance Centre (DIFC)
- President of Family Division’s International Committee (as expert on Islamic and Middle East Law)
- Director of the Centre of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law
- SOAS University of London (where he teaches all aspects of Islamic and Middle East law, at Masters level as well as Masters courses on international commercial arbitration, international fraud and private international law).