Gemma has been practising in general crime across the Western Circuit since 2007. She completed pupillage with the Crown Prosecution Service before leaving in 2013 to come to the independent bar, where she has continued to prosecute for the CPS, HMRC, DWP, Local Authorities and the Probation Service as well as successfully developing a strong defence practice.
Prior to qualification, Gemma worked for a Local Authority in child protection, and as such has a particularly good rapport with young and vulnerable people, which she uses to ensure witnesses give their best evidence, and to make them feel as comfortable as possible with the court process. Given the current emphasis on handling young and vulnerable witnesses these skills ensure Gemma is able to deal with the most sensitive of cases and in 2017 she successfully completed the vulnerable witness training programme.
Gemma has a deep understanding of criminal procedure and her practice encompasses the full range of offences with particular emphasis on complex drug conspiracies, serious sexual offences, dishonesty including fraud and money laundering, serious violence and public order. Her practice has particular emphasis on cases with young or vulnerable witnesses or defendants, and she is regularly instructed to represent those with complex learning or mental health difficulties.
Gemma has experience of dealing with complex and sensitive disclosure issues including Public Interest Immunity, and is regularly instructed in cases involving Confiscation under the Proceeds of Crime Act. She has experience representing the police in civil proceedings in applications for Sexual Harm Prevention Orders and Sexual Risk Orders; she has trained ACPO on Domestic Violence Protection Orders and provided training to Local Authorities on Disclosure.
Recent Cases of Note:
- R v H (2018) Southampton Crown Court. Conspiracy to supply Class A
- R v G (2018) Southampton Crown Court. Taking Drugs into prison- community order imposed
- Operation Operative (2017) - Multi-handed drugs conspiracy involving the supply of an estimated £4.5 million of import grade cocaine. Press Reports here
- Operation Pretty (2016-2017)
Magic Network - prosecuting Counsel multi-handed conspiracy to supply Class A drugs and associated Money Laundering Offences
Kane Network - prosecuting Counsel supply Class A drugs
Scouse Network - Junior Prosecuting Counsel (led by Jodie Mittell) 8 handed conspiracy to supply Class A drugs and associated Money Laundering. Local Press Report for Op Pretty here
- R v S (2017) Newport (IOW) Crown Court. 8 count indictment - conspiracy to supply drugs and possession with intent to supply at Bestival (Class A/B/C) Defence Counsel; suspended sentence
- R v G & W (2017) Southampton Crown Court - Conspiracy to Supply Class B. Prosecuting Trial Counsel
- R v N & P (2017) Swindon Crown Court - possession with intent to supply Class A/B/C. Prosecuting Trial Counsel
- R v H & ors (2017) Southampton Crown Court - Conspiracy to Supply Class A. Prosecuting Counsel
- R v R (2017) - Newport (IOW) Crown Court. Possession of Pyschoactive Substances at Bestival (new legislation) Defence Counsel
- R v W & ors (2016) Bournemouth Crown Court: Prosecution Counsel in multi-handed cross-county Class A drug Supply case where significant custodial sentence handed down.
- Operation River  - Second led junior (led by Nigel Lickley QC and Jodie Mittell) in multi-handed murder and aggravated burglary following a botched burglary where victim shot. National press coverage here
- R v Martin  EWCA Crim 648 appeal against sentence to Court Martial Appeals Court
- R v W (2017) Southampton Crown Court: Child Cruelty and Assault - Allegation of sustained period of time. Involved cross examination of vulnerable complainant - Defence Trial Counsel Secured Acquittal
- R v H (2017) Bournemouth Crown Court. Wounding with intent (s.18 OAPA) - Prosecuting Counsel where Defendant not fit to plead and s.41 restriction order under MHA imposed
- R v G (2017) Bournemouth Crown Court - Arson and Aggravated Stalking (domestic violence) - Prosecuting Counsel
- R v S & ors (2017) Southampton Crown Court - multi-handed affray in middle of Southampton City Centre during the middle of the day - Defence Counsel - suspended sentence imposed
- R v B (2017) Salisbury Crown Court - Arson
- R v W (2017) Salisbury Crown Court - GBH (vulnerable victim sustained broken jaw in several places) - Defendant received suspended sentence. Defence Counsel
- R v B & ors (2017) Bournemouth Crown Court. Multi-handed affray involving attack on vulnerable persons with multiple weapons including stun-gun. Prosecuting Trial Counsel
- R v M (2016) Child Cruelty and ABH - allegations of physical abuse against father by 6-year-old child - Case involved sensitive witness handling - Prosecuting Trial Counsel
- R v S (2016) Portsmouth Crown Court - s.20 GBH where victim pushed down flight of stairs received considerable life altering injuries and in coma for several months. Prosecuting Counsel
- R v S (2016) Winchester Crown Court. Wounding With Intent (s.18 OAPA) where victim repeatedly stabbed with various knives in his own home. Defence Trial Counsel
- R v S (2015) Swindon Crown Court: serious assault involving concrete block repeatedly used to strike victim to the head- Defendant prosecuted twice for the same violent behaviour. Case raised issues of abuse of process, autrefois convict and judicial review.
- R v H  Newport (IOW) Crown Court: prosecuting counsel in case of obstructing a coroner/perverting the course of justice and drugs supply where the Defendant had dumped and abandoned the body of his friend on the street following an overdose.
- R v G (2017) Southampton Crown Court. Series of knife-point robberies committed by 14 year old (vulnerable Defendant) Defence Counsel - non custodial sentence imposed
- R v B & O (2017) Portsmouth Crown Court. Multiple Count Indictment series of machete point robberies on taxi drivers. Prosecuting Trial Counsel
- R v I,M,G and ors (2016) Southampton Crown Court - 7 handed conspiracy to steal involving over £100,000 of undelivered good from delivery company. Prosecuting Counsel
- R v D and ors (2016) Portsmouth Crown Court - conspiracy to possess Counterfeit currency – Defence Counsel- successful dismissal application
- R v E & ors (2015) Dorchester Crown Court: multi-handed Aggravated Burglary involving Defendants breaking into address and assaulting occupants with a baseball bat causing significant injuries. Defendant received suspended sentence. Defence Counsel
- R v G (2015) Salisbury Crown Court: Robbery. victim severely disabled with mental age of a 4 year old; required extremely careful cross examination. Defence counsel- defendant acquitted
- R v W, S, M (2015) Southampton Crown Court: Prosecuting Counsel in multi-handed robbery of a victim who suffered from Asperger’s and who had been robbed/ beaten up whilst fleeing the scene of another robbery.
Gemma's practice encompasses the full range of sexual offences.
She has experience of representing the police in civil proceedings in applications for Sexual Harm Prevention orders and Sexual Risk Orders.
Recent cases of note
- R v E (2018) Portsmouth Crown Court. Allegations of attempted Rape and Sexual Assault by an uncle on his niece. Case stopped following successful submission of no case to answer
- Operation Mespohere R v M (2018) Southampton Crown Court: 17 year old defendant charged with gang rape together with three others. Several counts dismissed at half time and acquittal secured
- R v K (2018) Portsmouth Youth Court: 12 year old charged with inciting 5 year-old sibling into sexual activity. Prosecution offered no evidence following legal arguments on admissibility of evidence
- R v W (2018) Bournemouth Crown Court: historic allegations of rape and indecent assault by complainant’s father
- R v H (2017) Southampton Crown Court: Historic allegations of indecent assault by grandfather on two granddaughters
- R v T (2017) Portsmouth Crown Court: inciting a child into sexual activity. Instructed Defence Counsel
- R v M (2017) Bournemouth Crown Court: Sexual Assault - Prosecuting Counsel
- R v E (2017) Southampton Crown Court; Indecent Images - Defendant in possession of and distributing close to 1 million images across all categories - Defence Counsel - suspended sentence imposed
- R v P (2015) Portsmouth Crown Court: Prosecuting Counsel in Sexual Assault where the complainant had learning difficulties and significant vulnerabilities.
- LLB Law with French (Hons) 2.1 - University of the West of England, Bristol
- Certificate in European Political Studies - Université de Robert Schuman, Strasbourg
- Bar Vocational Course (Very Competent) BPP Holborn
- LLM Sports Law and Practice (Distinction) - De Montfort University Leicester
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Grade 2 Prosecutor
- British Association for Sport and Law (BASL)
- Criminal Bar Association
- Western Circuit
- Inn: Inner Temple
Gemma White is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
Adam Feest QC leading Gemma White secure Manslaughter conviction in hit and run
On 3rd June at Bristol Crown Court Dario Carboni changed his plea to guilty in respect of the manslaughter of pensioner Kenneth Kiley in July last year. This p...Read more
3PB criminal barristers awarded Certificate of Congratulations from the Chief Constable of Hampshire
3PB criminal barristers Jodie Mittell and Gemma White awarded Certificate of Congratulations from the Chief Constable of Hampshire following the successful pro...Read more
Gemma White secures acquittal for youth defendant in multi-handed rape and indecent images case
Gemma White acted for the second defendant, aged 16 at the time of the alleged offences, who faced multiple charges of rape and possession of indecent images...Read more