Lucy specialises in all areas of public and private children’s law.
She is a highly experienced and capable practitioner. Renowned for preparing her cases and deploying advocacy skills with a forensic attention to detail, she is well respected by the judiciary, her opponents and her clients (both lay and professional).
Add this expertise to your shortlist
Lucy accepts instructions on behalf of parents, children, wider family members and local authorities.
She has particular interest and expertise in the following:
- Allegations of extremely serious physical injury or death – complex medical and scientific evidence
- Allegations of child sex abuse
- Mental health and personality disorders
- Children and / or parents with special needs / cognitive impairment / capacity issues
- Cultural diversity
- Wardship / Inherent Jurisdiction
Lucy is renowned for dealing with sensitive and seemingly intractable private law cases. First and foremost, a highly effective advocate in the courtroom, Lucy is also willing to take a collaborative child focused approach to try to achieve agreed and enduring arrangements for children, averting the need for a trial.
Recently reported case:
- Re T (A Child)  EWCA Civ 650
- Re W (2017). Representing a mother who tried to drown her 5 year old son whilst suffering with a serious psychotic / mental illness. Parallel criminal proceedings. The central issue at final hearing was whether it was in the child's best interest for him to be rehabilitated to his mother’s care.
- Re R (2017). Representing a father falsely accused of perpetrating sexual abuse against his daughter. Exonerated after a fact finding hearing.
- Re C (2017). Representing a 14 year old child. Risk to self and others was deemed to be so serious that she required detention, assessment and treatment under the Mental Health Act in a secure psychiatric unit.
- Re B (2017). Representing a vulnerable mother whose son was accused of sexual activity with his sister.
- Re S&G (2016). Junior counsel representing parents of three children whose adoptive placements had broken down.
- Re K (2016). Sought and received permission from the Court of Appeal for a mother to defend adoption proceedings in respect of her two children.
- Re S (2016). Instructed on behalf of the guardian. The subject child was made a ward of court so that a best interests medical plan could be achieved.
- Re K (2016). Representing the children. Findings of inflicted head injury to 6 month old baby made against both parents. Post assessment the court was able to approve a final care plan for the children to be cared for by their parents whilst living with members of their wider family.
- Re G (2015). Junior counsel representing a father accused of shaking his baby. Both parents exonerated and the family was reunited.
- Re L (2015). Representing the children whose mother had been murdered by their father. Achieved placement with the maternal grandmother.
Add this expertise to your shortlist
Lucy is an Accredited Mediator.
Experienced children law specialist whose expertise extends across public and private law. She attends to a wide tranche of issues including adoption, abuse, neglect, addiction and mental health. Her clients include parents, guardians and local authorities.
"Incredibly bright and hard-working." "A formidable advocate. She is always professional and pays excellent attention to detail."
Chambers UK 2019/Family - Matrimonial - Western (Bar)
‘A fabulous junior with the makings of a silk.’
Legal 500 2018/19/Regional Bar - Western Circuit, Family and children law – Leading juniors
‘Subtle in her dealings and very effective in court.’
Legal 500 2017/Regional Bar - Western Circuit, Family and children law – Leading juniors
'Hardworking, persistent and excellent on her feet.'
Legal 500 2016/Regional Bar - Western Circuit, Family and children law – Leading juniors
'She is sensible in negotiations, exerting a calming influence on the case as a whole.'
Legal 500 2015/Regional Bar - Western Circuit, Family and children law – Leading juniors
'3PB’s Lucy Hendry ‘stands out’.'
Legal 500 UK Directory 2013/14/Western Circuit, Family.
- LLB (Hons) Law, Kingston
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Accredited Mediation Advocate
- Family Law Bar Association
- Western Circuit