Before he came to the bar, Tagbo Ilozue worked in emergency medicine, acute medicine and a variety of surgical specialities in a number of different hospitals across the country. He gained familiarity with multiple clinical fields, treated innumerable patients and worked alongside a large number of healthcare practitioners. He thereby gained an invaluable insight into the key matters lying at the heart of clinical negligence disputes.
While working as junior doctor Tagbo achieved the rare distinction of completing the membership exams for both the Royal College of Surgeons and the Royal College of Physicians. His experience of research in a developmental biology laboratory, while working towards his PhD, enhanced his capacity for forensic analysis and ingrained a meticulous attention to detail that has translated into his legal practice.
Tagbo acts for both claimants and defendants. His previous professional experience makes his involvement particularly helpful at a very early stage in the proceedings, to advise on whether the merits of a case are sufficient to justify the instruction of a medical expert and on the type of expert likely to be best qualified to assist the court.
Recent work includes:
- Advising a claimant on the merits of a claim arising from perinatal obstetric care.
- Advising a claimant on expert evidence in relation to a delayed diagnosis of hip dysplasia in an infant.
- Advising a defendant on quantum, and amendments needed to expert evidence in relation to a claim arising from the peri-operative management of anticoagulation therapy.
- Advising a defendant on the practical steps to be undertaken to advance proceedings towards settlement.
- Advising a claimant on the merits of a claim in relation to the delayed diagnosis of an ectopic pregnancy.
Tagbo welcomes instructions in all areas of medical and surgical practice.
- Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL), University of Law – Distinction
- PhD, Developmental Biology, Queens’ College, University of Cambridge
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MB BChir), Queens’ College, University of Cambridge
- MA Philosophy and Psychology, Magdalen College, University of Oxford – 2:1
- Everard Ver Heyden Foundation Prize (for results in the BPTC) City Law School
- Winner of the City Law School Senior Moot, 2019
Professional qualifications & appointments
- BPTC, City Law School – Outstanding (7th in a year of over 400 students)
- Membership of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP)
- Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons (MRCS, expired in July 2019)
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Criminal Bar Association
- Administrative Law Bar Association
- Association of Regulatory and Disciplinary Lawyers