Employment and discrimination
Lachlan is regularly and frequently called upon to advise and represent Claimants and Respondents in disputes before employment tribunals throughout the country, and before the Employment Appeal Tribunal. He specialises in areas of discrimination and public interest disclosure, but his extensive experience in employment litigation includes:
- Unfair Dismissal claims (substantive and procedural, constructive, automatic)
- Wrongful dismissal claims
- Discrimination claims (disability, sex, sexual orientation, racial, religious beliefs, victimisation)
- Maternity rights
- Equal Pay claims
- Public Interest Disclosure claims (whistle-blowing)
- Redundancy payment claims (statutory and contractual)
- National Minimum Wage and Working Time disputes
- Transfer-of-Undertakings (TUPE) disputes
- Unlawful wage deduction claims
- Employment Tribunal jurisdiction and procedural disputes
- High Court and County Court litigation, including:
- contractual bonus and share issues
- restrictive covenants
- employers’ references
- vicarious liability for professional negligence
- fiduciary obligations of senior employees and directors.
In addition, Lachlan has advised extensively on the effective drafting of:
- Contracts of employment
- Confidentiality clauses
- Disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Compromise agreements.
As a trained mediator, Lachlan is also frequently called upon to act as counsel in mediations concerning employment disputes.
- Perkin v St George’s Healthcare NHS Trust  EWCA Civ 1174
- Akhavan-Moossavi v Association of London Government (2005) UKEAT/0501/04
- Vasquez-Guirado v Wigmore (2005) UKEAT/0033/05
Lachlan is pleased to advise professional clients both informally, and in formal presentations, on latest developments in employment law. Further details can be obtained from the specialist clerk to the Employment Group.
'Head of the Public and Regulatory Law Group at his set, who has an active practice encompassing a multitude of education issues. He is frequently instructed by individuals, institutions and school governing bodies connected with primary, secondary and tertiary education provision.'
Strengths: "Lachlan is a well-rounded education law barrister with a strong focus on higher education law, and a particular interest in internal and disciplinary matters." "He is utterly charming and deals very well indeed with clients. They leave purring."
Chambers UK 2018/Education - London (Bar) - Band 4
"He is superb with clients and has the ability to instil confidence. He is super bright, quickly gets to the nub of the issue and is a really good strategist."
Chambers UK 2017/Education - London (Bar)
'Highly intelligent and a very effective advocate.'
Legal 500 2014/London.
‘approachable, effective and kind’
Legal 500 2013/London - Education.
Legal 500 2012/London - Education.
- BA (Oxon) Literae Humaniores (1992)
- Dip Law, Westminster University (1995)
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Accredited Mediation Advocate
- Legal Assessor to the Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Trained Mediator
3PB's Public and Regulatory team delivers Professional Disciplinary Training
On 18th July, Head of 3PB's Professional Disciplinary Group Sunyana Sharma, Lachlan Wilson and Shruti Sharma, all members of 3PB's Public and Regulatory group...Read more
3PB's Education team host education law update seminar
On 24th November 3PB education team members Lachlan Wilson and John Friel hosted the third of a series of education law update seminars. The content of the sem...Read more
3PB's expert education law barristers provide an informative update seminar on the 2014 Children and Families Act
On 29th September 2016, 3PB Education Team members Lachlan Wilson, John Friel, and Emma Waldron hosted an Education Law Update Seminar in Temple, London. This ...Read more