Construction and engineering
Ian regularly advises on construction projects in the Middle East and where Middle East laws are involved.
- He advised and was advocate in an ICC arbitration in Paris involving the Great Man Made River project in Libya
- He has advised as expert on various major construction projects in Qatar: one involving the University and another Gas storage
- He has advised on oil pipeline disputes in Saudi Arabia and Afghanistan.
- MA (Cantab)
- LLB (Cantab)
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Law Lecturer, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London
- Chartered Arbitrator
- Accredited Mediator (Clerksroom)
- Legislative Council of the Dubai International Finance Centre (DIFC)
- President of Family Division’s International Committee (as expert on Islamic and Middle East Law)
- Director of the Centre of Islamic and Middle Eastern Law
- SOAS University of London (where he teaches all aspects of Islamic and Middle East law, at Masters level as well as Masters courses on international commercial arbitration, international fraud and private international law).