Property and Estates
Charles enjoys a busy property practice and his experience includes:
- Real property: Contentious and non-contentious matters, including mortgages, covenants, easements and trusts in land
- Landlord and Tenant: Commercial and residential landlord and tenant law, including possession, advising on secured and assured tenancies, 1954 Act renewals and forfeiture and surrender
- Insolvency: Corporate and individual insolvency and associated Companies Act 2006 and Insolvency Act 1986 applications, including all stages of winding-up and bankruptcy, applications under sections 171 to 177 of the Companies Act 2006, applications to setting aside statutory demands, injunctions and validation orders
- Housing: Housing Act 1996 and 2004 matters, including licensing for houses in multiple occupation, challenging interim and final management orders and Housing Act 1996 appeals.
- Carshalton Beeches Bowling Club Limited v Seaton House School  - A 3 day trial in the County Court at Central London. Charles successfully represented the Defendant, Seaton House School, named Independent Preparatory School of the Year 2018, in a claim brought for a business lease renewal under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 and a claim under proprietary estoppel. The case has attracted news coverage including in The Telegraph, The Times, the Evening Standard and the Daily Mail.
- Shah & Shah v Greening & Greening  - A 2 day trial in the High Court concerning the specific performance of a contract for sale which raised issues of illegality and exceptional hardship.
- Pressland v Sonigara  - A 2 day trial at the County Court at Central London concerning the surrender of a lease by operation of law.
- Hayatt v Cherwell District Council  - First Tier Tribunal Property Chamber (Residential Property) appeal against the refusal to revoke an Interim Management Order.
19th May 2020
Lydia Pemberton, deputy head of 3PB’s Property and Estate team, and Charles Irvine, a member of 3PB’s Property and Estates team and Commercial team, have reviewed the new changes to the execution of documents brought about shortly before and since the COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown.
New ways of working have meant a rise in technology and electronic communications which brings new formalities when it comes to dealing with the execution of legal documents. In this article, Lydia and Charles assess the current rules on formalities of deeds and documents and give their detailed response to these frequently asked questions from private client and property solicitors:
• What constitutes signature?
• What amounts to attesting?
• What happens if a deed fails to meet the formality requirements?
• What about formalities for notices and section 44 of the Companies Act 2006?
• What is HM Land Registry’s response to the COVID-19 lockdown?
• What are the formalities for wills?
27th Apr 2020
3PB’s specialist Property and Estates Barristers Charles Irvine and Rebecca Farrell have issued an updated guide on the rights of commercial landlords and their tenants during the Coronavirus pandemic.
The guide reviews the existing position for commercial landlords and their tenants as well as an update on the latest Government’s announcement on 23rd April 2020.
• 2009 - 2010: Bar Vocational Course, City Law School, Graded "Outstanding" (ranking well within the top 20 students that year).
• 2008 - 2009: Graduate Diploma in Law (CPE), City University.
• 2005 - 2008: BA (Hons), University of London (Royal Holloway).
- 2009: Gray's Inn Scholarship to study for the Bar Vocational Course.
- 2008: Society Crest Award for outstanding contribution to the University of London.
- 2005: Bedford Entrance Scholarship to read English at University of London (Royal Holloway).
- Awarded a scholarship to read English at the University of London.
Charles Irvine is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
3PB reviews new changes to the execution of legal documents during COVID-19
Lydia Pemberton, deputy head of 3PB’s Property and Estates team, and Charles Irvine, a member of 3PB’s Property and Estates team and Commercial team, have r...Read more
3PB’s Charles Irvine and Rebecca Farrell produce an updated property law guide on Covid-19
3PB’s specialist Property and Estates Barristers Charles Irvine and Rebecca Farrell issue an updated guide on the rights of commercial landlords and their ten...Read more
3PB produces new property law guide on Covid-19 and changing the locks in the lockdown
3PB Barristers' Property & Estates team has issued a new guide, authored by 3PB property barristers Charles Irvine and Rebecca Farrell, on the rights of com...Read more