Lydia Pemberton, deputy head of 3PB’s Property and Estate team, and Charles Irvine, a member of 3PB’s Property and Estates team and Commercial team, have reviewed the new changes to the execution of documents brought about shortly before and since the COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown.
New ways of working have meant a rise in technology and electronic communications which brings new formalities when it comes to dealing with the execution of legal documents. In this article, Lydia and Charles assess the current rules on formalities of deeds and documents and give their detailed response to these frequently asked questions from private client and property solicitors:
• What constitutes signature?
• What amounts to attesting?
• What happens if a deed fails to meet the formality requirements?
• What about formalities for notices and section 44 of the Companies Act 2006?
• What is HM Land Registry’s response to the COVID-19 lockdown?
• What are the formalities for wills?