3PB webinar on disability discrimination now available to view
10th September 2020
Employment barristers Karen Moss and Grace Boorer presented today's employment law webinar on disability discrimination.
You can view the webinar below.
Karen gave an updated overview of liability under Section 15 Equality Act 2010 including the most recent authorities.
She focused on how tribunals approach a claim of discrimination arising from disability encompassing:
- Requisite knowledge under s.15 cf. failure to make reasonable adjustments, considering Baldeh v Churches Housing Association of Dudley and District and Tesco Stores v Tennant.
- What is unfavourable treatment, after Chief Constable of Gwent Police v Parsons?
- How loose can the link be between the disability and the reason for the treatment for liability to be established?
- Justification in light of DWP v Boyers.
Grace covered practical issues in preparing or defending disability discrimination claims, considering the impact of recent case law including:
- Defining disability in light of Khorochilova v Euro Rep and Ahmed v Cardinal Hume Academy
- The identification of PCPs following Ishola v Transport for London
- Extension of time arguments in disability discrimination claims, considering Lowri Beck Services Ltd v Brophy
- The impact of Hill v Lloyds Bank on recommendations in disability discrimination cases.