Lachlan Wilson argues for parents before the Upper Tribunal that a powered wheelchair constitutes special educational provision. This article was first published on Lexis®PSL Local Government on 27 April 2018.
Lachlan’s public and administrative law practice is centred on the field of education and he appears in Chambers and Partners for this field. He taught for a number of years before qualifying as a lawyer and now conducts cases involving a wide range of education law issues at all levels from the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal to the Court of Appeal.
Lachlan advises and represents children, parents, school proprietors and governing bodies, local education authorities, voluntary organisations and charitable trusts, further and higher education institutions, students, and universities, on the full range of education disputes, including:
- School admissions - policies and appeals (including nursery and infant class admissions)
- School exclusions - policies and appeals, and other pupil disciplinary matters
- School attendance and registration of pupils
- Discrimination (including allegations of disability discrimination before the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal, and Independent Appeal Panel in cases of permanent exclusion)
- Special Educational Needs (including hearings before, and appeals from, the SENDIST)
- Local Government Ombudsman (complaints to, and challenges against decisions of)
- Negligence in the field of Education
- Employment in Education, and other education contracts
- Charitable Trusts
- Further and Higher Education – admissions, attendance, disciplinary issues
- Universities - admissions, academic and disciplinary disputes, including fitness to practice panels.
- R v Wakefield MDC ex p G ( LTL 30/1/98 : Times, February 10, 1998)
- R v Wakefield LEA ex p K (LTL 24/6/99)
- R v Oxfordshire CC Exclusions Appeal Panel, ex p P  ELR 631
- R v S Gloucestershire Education Appeals Committee, ex p B  ELR 53
- R (ota) Wakefield MDC v E and SENT (2002) ELR 2003
- Olchfa Comprehensive School Governors v (1) IE & EE (2) Helen Rimington (Chair Of Special Educational Needs & Disability Tribunal)  EWHC 1468 (Admin)
- Centrepoint Soho Ltd v Ms S Omaboe  UKEAT/0129/17/BA
- East Sussex County Council v JC  UKUT 81 (AAC)
- The Harpur Trust v Brazel  EWCA Civ 1402
Lachlan regularly advises both informally, and in formal presentations, on latest developments in Education Law.
The distinction between educational and healthcare provision (East Sussex County Council v JC)3rd May 2018
Lachlan Wilson has an active practice encompassing a multitude of education issues. He is frequently instructed by individuals, institutions and school governing bodies connected with primary, secondary and tertiary education provision.
Strengths: “Lachlan brings a calm and level-headed approach.”
“Lachlan is extremely likable with expert advocacy and good judgement.”
“Lachlan is a charming and persuasive advocate.”
Chambers UK 2024/Education/London Bar
Strengths: “He provides great advice to ensure the best outcome for a client.”
“He is very experienced and superb at putting clients and witnesses at ease with his personable nature, and he provides practical advice to achieve positive outcomes.”
Chambers UK 2023/Education /London Bar
Strengths: "He is fantastic in judicial review claims, his drafting skills are amazing and his written submissions are really persuasive." "A very good and very personable barrister."
Chambers UK 2022/Education /London Bar
Strengths: "Extremely helpful, proactive, very approachable and has great insight when discussing the issues with the client." "He has a sensible advocacy style."
Chambers UK 2021/Education /London Bar
Strengths: "A well-rounded education law barrister - he's very good with clients and is excellent at explaining complex situations." "He's extremely good at instilling confidence in clients and is a very capable advocate."
Chambers UK 2020/Education/London Bar
"He brings huge amounts of knowledge and personality to a situation. His common sense and affable manner in and out of court are great weapons to have on your side."
Chambers UK 2019/Education/London Bar
Strengths: "Lachlan is a well-rounded education law barrister with a strong focus on higher education law, and a particular interest in internal and disciplinary matters." "He is utterly charming and deals very well indeed with clients. They leave purring."
Chambers UK 2018/Education/London Bar
"He is superb with clients and has the ability to instil confidence. He is super bright, quickly gets to the nub of the issue and is a really good strategist."
Chambers UK 2017/Education/London Bar
'Highly intelligent and a very effective advocate.'
Legal 500 2014
‘approachable, effective and kind’
Legal 500 2013/Education.
Legal 500 2012/Education.