Lachlan’s public and administrative law practice is centred on the field of education and he appears in the Legal 500 for this field. He taught for a number of years before qualifying as a lawyer and now conducts cases involving a wide range of education law issues at all levels from the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal to the Court of Appeal.
Lachlan advises and represents children, parents, school proprietors and governing bodies, local education authorities, voluntary organisations and charitable trusts, further and higher education institutions, students, and universities, on the full range of education disputes, including:
- School admissions – policies and appeals (including nursery and infant class admissions)
- School exclusions – policies and appeals, and other pupil disciplinary matters
- School attendance and registration of pupils
- Discrimination (including allegations of disability discrimination before the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal, and Independent Appeal Panel in cases of permanent exclusion)
- Special Educational Needs (including hearings before, and appeals from, the SENDIST)
- Local Government Ombudsman (complaints to, and challenges against decisions of)
- Negligence in the field of Education
- Employment in Education, and other education contracts
- Charitable Trusts
- Further and Higher Education – admissions, attendance, disciplinary issues
- Universities – admissions, academic and disciplinary disputes.
- R v Wakefield MDC ex p G ( LTL 30/1/98 : Times, February 10, 1998)
- R v Wakefield LEA ex p K (LTL 24/6/99)
- R v Oxfordshire CC Exclusions Appeal Panel, ex p P  ELR 631
- R v S Gloucestershire Education Appeals Committee, ex p B  ELR 53
- R (ota) Wakefield MDC v E and SENT (2002) ELR 2003
- Olchfa Comprehensive School Governors v (1) IE & EE (2) Helen Rimington (Chair Of Special Educational Needs & Disability Tribunal)  EWHC 1468 (Admin)
Lachlan heads up the Education Law unit in Chambers and regularly advises both informally, and in formal presentations, on latest developments in Education Law.
‘Highly intelligent and a very effective advocate.’
Legal 500 2014/London.
‘approachable, effective and kind’
Legal 500 2013/London – Education.
Legal 500 2012/London – Education.
- BA (Oxon) Literae Humaniores (1992)
- Dip Law, Westminster University (1995)
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Accredited Mediation Advocate
- Legal Assessor to the Nursing and Midwifery Council
- Trained Mediator
3PB’s Public and Regulatory team delivers Professional Disciplinary Training
On 18th July, Head of 3PB’s Professional Disciplinary Group Sunyana Sharma, Lachlan Wilson and Shruti Sharma, all members of 3PB’s Public and Regu...Read more
3PB’s Education team host education law update seminar
On 24th November 3PB education team members Lachlan Wilson and John Friel hosted the third of a series of education law update seminars. The content of the sem...Read more
3PB’s expert education law barristers provide an informative update seminar on the 2014 Children and Families Act
On 29th September 2016, 3PB Education Team members Lachlan Wilson, John Friel, and Emma Waldron hosted an Education Law Update Seminar in Temple, London. This ...Read more