Steven Talbot Haldey practises in all areas of criminal law, both for the prosecution and for the defence, acting either as lead counsel or junior alone. His specialist areas include:
Serious Sexual Offences including rape, both male and female, also involving young and vulnerable witnesses, computer evidence and indecent images. Steven advises pre-charge for a number of Rape and Serious Sexual Offences Units of the Crown Prosecution Service.
Murder and other serious violent offences including the use of knives and firearms; armed robbery and blackmail.
Drugs offences including large scale importations.
Steven also specialises in areas of mental health, perverting the course of justice, animal welfare and dangerous dogs.
Cases of Note:
- R v. Readhead – Warwick Crown Court 2017. Proceeds of crime from large scale brothel operation.
- R v. Neal and others – Winchester Crown Court 2016. Large scale drug supply and blackmail.
- R v. Riley and another – Northampton Crown Court 2016. Keeping a dangerous dog who killed the owner’s baby.
- R v. Bowyer and others – Reading Crown Court 2015. Large scale burglaries of commercial premises.
- 2017: defence counsel in multi-handed multiple rape and GBH of vulnerable young female
- 2016: indecent assaults on a step-grand-daughter; rapes of two under-age females.
- 2017: multiple rapes of defendant’s estranged wife.
- 2016: attempted rape and sexual abuse of defendant’s 9 year old daughter; rape of a prostitute; sexual abuse of the child of a vulnerable mother deliberately targeted by the defendant; historic rapes and abuse of a step-daughter starting when she was circa 6 years old and transgender male at the time of trial; historic buggery on multiple occasions of a young vulnerable boy (serving life for murder at the time of trial) by a youth worker.
- BA(Hons) – UCNW Bangor
- BD(Hons) – UCNW Bangor
- Dip Law – Westminster
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Appointed to the CPS Advocate Panel at Level 4
- Appointed to the Rape and Child Sex Abuse Prosecution List
- Surrey and South London Bar Mess Committee
- The Honourable Society of the Inner Temple
- The Criminal Bar Association
- South Eastern Circuit
- Surrey and South London Bar Mess