Sarah has considerable trial experience as a defence advocate. She is also a Level 2 Prosecutor and is on the Crown Prosecution Service’s Advocate Panel 2016-2020 for general crime for the South Eastern and Western Circuits. She has appeared in a number of reported cases.
Sarah’s practise covers a wide range of serious offences including multiple handed cases, serious assaults, rape, indecent images, kidnapping, high value frauds and applications under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002. She has been instructed as a disclosure junior and as trial junior in a multi-count drugs conspiracy, rape and kidnapping trial involving several defendants.
Sarah has appeared in the Court of Appeal on numerous occasions. This has included appearing on behalf of her leader and successfully reducing her client’s three life sentences to a concurrent sentence of sixteen years. She is proficient at drafting Advices on Appeal, Skeleton Arguments and Grounds of Appeal.
Her areas of experience include the following:
Sarah frequently appears in cases involving both the possession and supply of drugs. She is well used to assimilating the large amount of evidence that is typical of such cases.
Cases of note include:
- R v W  - Further to the Defendant’s guilty plea to possession with intent to supply class A on the basis of being a custodian, Sarah represented the Defendant in the Court of Appeal, when it was held that although a benefit figure could be valued at the amount of drugs he had consumed over the relevant period, it was legitimate to reduce the amount of the benefit if it could be established that the drugs had been purchased in part with legitimate income.
- R v V and others  - Sarah was Junior Counsel in a long running trial in which she represented one of five men charged with conspiracy to supply class A drugs, kidnapping, false imprisonment and three counts of rape. When her leader became unavailable Sarah appealed to the Court of Appeal against the three life sentences imposed and represented the Appellant alone. The Court of Appeal held that a life sentence had to be reserved for cases where the culpability of the offender was particularly high or the offence itself particularly grave and that, although the offences were serious and disgusting, they did not fall within the category requiring life sentences.
Sarah has been involved in a large number of cases involving the use of weapons, guns and knives. She has considerable experience of the full gambit of allegations of violence including grievous bodily harm, gang violence, violent disorder, riot, and affray.
Sarah also has considerable experience of domestic and non-domestic Arson and Burglary offences.
Road Traffic Act Offences
Sarah has frequently dealt with cases involving allegations of dangerous driving, driving whilst disqualified, and driving whilst under the influence, as well as more minor road traffic offences. She is well versed in special reasons and exceptional hardship arguments for those who wish to avoid a driving ban and/or penalty points following a conviction.
Sarah has represented both the Crown and the Defence in a number of cases involving sexual offences. She has particular experience of the following:
- Representation of Defendants charged with rape of a child under the age of 13.
- Representation of young Defendants charged with rape of a complainant under the age of 16.
- Representation of a number of Defendants accused of possession of a large quantity of indecent images and videos. This has involved analysing, interpreting and explaining complex expert evidence on the retrieval and storage of such images on various computer systems.
- Arguing against the making of Sexual Offences Prevention Orders, both in their application and in their content. Sarah is well acquainted with the wealth of guidelines case law in this area. She is also experienced in representing those charged with breach of a SOPO.
- Representation of one of a group of men accused of ‘cottaging’ in local public toilets.
- English Literature BA (Hons) (2.1)
- Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction)
- Bar Vocational Course (Very Competent)
- Wilfred Getz Award (Gray's Inn, 2004)
- Criminal Bar Association
- Family Bar Association
- Member of the Western Circuit
3PB barrister and author Sarah Langford talks about her best-selling book “In Your Defence”
3PB barrister and author Sarah Langford will be speaking online to a sold-out audience on Thursday 16th July 2020 at 7pm. Sarah will talk first hand about her e...Read more
3PB barrister and author Sarah Langford’s planned “clarion call” book about farming sparks publishers’ auction
Publishers Viking has scooped an “urgent clarion call” for the British farming industry by 3PB criminal and family barrister Sarah Langford in a three-way a...Read more
Debut book by 3PB's Sarah Langford receives positive reviews in the national newspapers
Criminal and family barrister Sarah Langford from national chambers 3PB Barristers has had her first book published by Penguin. The book is attracting a great d...Read more