Sarah accepts instructions in all areas of personal injury work, including accidents at work, road traffic accidents, public liability disputes and holiday claims arising from The Package Travel, Package Holidays & Package Tours Regulations 1992. Sarah is regularly instructed in fast track and multi-track trials and interlocutory hearings, including costs and case management hearings.
Sarah has specific experience in the following areas:
- Road traffic accident claims, including Low Velocity Impacts and staged or induced accidents
- Credit hire- Sarah has dealt with all of the various issues that arise in such claims, including need, period, rate, the ‘Doorstep’ Regulations, late signing, offer of replacement car and so on
- Employers’ Liability
- Public Liability
- Animals Act claims
- Highways Claims.
- Acting for the defendant in a claim in which the claimant alleged that an injury had been caused in a road traffic collision, but the defence was that in fact the injury occurred in a betting shop and was thus a fraudulent claim.
- Acted for the defendant in a road traffic accident claim in which the defence was that the claimant was lying about having sustained any injury. Involved allegations of fundamental dishonesty and consideration of section 57 of the Criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015.
- Acted for the defendant in a road traffic accident claim in which there were five claimants, all of whom had allegedly been injured. There was evidence of a substantial number of previous claims and major inconsistencies in the medical records and expert reports which required detailed cross-examination.
- Acted for the Claimant in a multi-track case in which the Claimant sustained serious physical and psychological injuries as a result of being seriously assaulted by her husband
- Advising the Claimant in a high value matter in an occupier’s liability claim in which the claimant suffered a serious head injury leading to a permanent psychogenic tremor
- Acting for the child Claimant in an occupier’s liability claim brought against a well-known supermarket arising out of accident involving a non-secure shelving unit
- Acting for the Claimant in an employers’ liability claim brought against a well-known fast food restaurant arising from a fall at work
- Acting for the claimant in a 2-day multi-track trial in a claim against a Council for a slip and trip accident. Live evidence was heard from two Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Acting for the Claimant in a slip and trip claim brought against her local authority, as a result of which the claimant developed CRPS.
Sarah regularly advises on quantum issues as well as conducting trials dealing with complex quantum issues. She frequently is instructed to draft pleadings, including complex schedules of loss incorporating future care claims, future treatment, loss of earnings, loss of pensions and Smith v Manchester awards.
She has experience in the following areas:
- Orthopaedic injuries and associated treatments including spinal decompression, open reduction and internal fixation, prolapses, strains and so on
- Psychological trauma, including PTSD, depression and adjustment disorders
- Complex regional pain syndrome
- Damage caused to teeth, often necessitating future treatment.
She is willing to consider instructions funded by way of a conditional fee agreement in appropriate cases.
Sarah has recently lectured on retracting admissions of liability and important updates in respect of the CPR (including costs budgeting and the interplay between the new rules on proportionality and additional liabilities). She is more than happy to provide lectures on appropriate topics.
Experienced in a range of employment matters, from discrimination claims, whistle-blowing and unfair dismissal to TUPE. Her crossover into commercial and personal injury matters lends itself well to her work in employment mandates.
"A brilliant cross-examiner who is able to present her case in an exceptionally convincing manner." "It's one thing to prepare and turn up with a script, but what really impresses me is her ability to handle situations when things go wrong and the witness bowls a googly: she makes it look like it was planned all along while subtly adjusting her approach."
Chambers UK 2019/Employment - Western
"I have recently instructed Sarah Clarke in a restraint of trade matter for a client who had issues with a departing partner soliciting clients of the partnership, I was very impressed with Sarah’s extensive knowledge in this complex area and her ability to explain these matters and offer solutions for our client to protect their business. Sarah is personable and is able to build a good rapport and trust with clients quickly and I cannot recommend her highly enough." - Instructing solicitor, July 2017
"Thank you for all your hard work and effort. You were brilliant and I can never thank you enough for all your support" - lay client
"Thank you so much for fighting so hard and well on my behalf. You honestly came out of the gate fighting and gave them no inch to move (as my mother put it "a lioness") when we were at the tribunal and for that I can't thank you enough." - lay client
"Thank you so much for all your help and advice on the case. You achieved a fantastic result for the client. We couldn’t have done it without you" - Instructing solicitor
"Just a quick thank you for all your work in pushing a settlement through today- it means a lot to us, and we appreciate that you will have done this with a stack of other work needing to be done too. We are extremely grateful both for your work today and all you have done before" - lay client
"Sarah delivers an excellent service and knows her stuff. She is approachable, experienced and convincing."- Instructing solicitor
"We have instructed Sarah for many years and we have always found her to be excellent. Sarah is knowledgeable and provides thorough and well-reasoned advice. Sarah is very approachable and is very good with clients. Sarah is an excellent advocate who presents her cases with determination and authority and she always gives 100%." - Instructing solicitor
- BA (Oxon) 2:1 Jurisprudence
- BVC Nottingham Law School
- Inner Temple Exhibition 2004
- Sally Ball Award 2004
- Employment Law Bar Association (ELBA)
Sarah Clarke is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
3PB barrister Sarah Clarke analyses the latest employment law cases (September 2018)
3PB Employment barrister Sarah Clarke analyses the latest employment law cases, covering: An employee can still rely on the victimisation legislation even where...Read more
3PB barrister Sarah Clarke analyses the latest employment law cases
3PB Employment barrister Sarah Clarke analyses the latest employment law cases, covering: What constitutes ‘information’ in the context of making a protecte...Read more
3PB Employment Barrister Sarah Clarke succeeds in 3-day High Court trial in a claim for lost profits and loss of a chance
Sarah Clarke succeeds in 3-day High Court trial in a claim for lost profits and loss of a chance. Sarah acted for a financial advisory firm who had brought clai...Read more