Richard acts both for and against a variety of professionals and sports people in disciplinary and regulatory tribunals.
He offers expertise in relation to sports law including to specialist contractual advice for sports people & bodies, representation of sports people at disciplinary tribunals, the resolution of sporting disputes and expertise in early stage advice in all potential proceedings.
Richard has acted and advised in proceedings before the General Medical Council, the General Dental Council, The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, the Health and Care Professions Council, and appeals both to the High Court and the Privy Council. In addition, Richard has acted as Disciplinary Officer for the British Amateur Gymnastics Association. Richard also has experience in advising in relation to proceedings investigated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
- X v GMC (2015) – allegations of unprofessional (non-clinical) conduct by a GP
- X v RCVS (2014) – advising on proceedings before the Privy Council on appeal from RCVS
- X v HCPC (2013) – advising a sonography in relation to allegations of clinical competence
- BAGA v Louis Smith (no 1) (2016) – advising and representing British Gymnastics in relation to Twitter posts
- BAGA v Louis Smith (no 2) (2016) – advising and representing British Gymnastics in relation to actions of Louis Smith.
- Employment Law Bar Association (ELBA)
- Employment Lawyers Association
Richard Owen-Thomas is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
Commercial update: Interpreting exclusion clauses in insurance contracts
How do the Courts approach the meaning of clauses that exclude liability in commercial contracts? Are they given the meaning least favourable to the person who ...Read more
Cricketer Marlon Samuels successfully concludes defamation case
West Indies cricketer Marlon Samuels received a full apology and will get undisclosed "substantial damages", after successfully suing former australian cricket...Read more