Public and Regulatory
Nicola is experienced in the area of professional misconduct, having sat as a Legally Qualified Chair for police gross misconduct hearings since January 2016. She has dealt with complex cases involving various breaches of police standards of professional behaviour for the police authorities in the South East and is keen to use that experience to advise and represent officers facing misconduct proceedings.
Nicola also has experience of and an interest in Environmental Law, Health and Safety Law and Trading Standards cases.
Whilst working for the Environment Agency, Nicola was reviewing lawyer for a multi-handed illegal waste case, which involved complex calculation of the volume of waste, expert evidence, directors’ liability issues and analysing a vast amount of unused material. Ultimately, all defendants pleaded guilty. Nicola also has experience of cases involving the transfrontier shipment of waste under the Transfrontier Shipment of Waste Regulations 2007 and European Waste Shipments law, and civil sanctions. She has trained Environment Agency enforcement officers in the conduct of major investigations and disclosure, the handling of waste containers following seizure, and imposition of penalties. Nicola is keen to use her experience to defend and prosecute in environmental cases.
During her time at the Department for Work and Pensions, Nicola advised on disability benefits, including Personal Independence Payments and Vaccine Damage Payments, and was involved in litigation at the First Tier and Upper Tribunals (Social Entitlement Chamber). She was also lead advisory lawyer in the key case in which the Court of Appeal re-defined the way in which vaccine damage claims should be assessed by DWP, reported as G (a Minor) v Secretary of State for Work and Pensions  EWCA Civ 61. She is happy to assist claimants pursuing their claims for benefits and launching appeals, on a pro bono basis or otherwise.
- Christ Church, Oxford, BA/MA Hons Modern History (Upper Second Class Honours)
- Bath University, Post-Graduate Certificate in Education (Secondary History)
- London School of Economics, MSc International Relations (Distinction)
- College of Law (York), Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction)
- Winner of end-of-year prizes in EU Law and Public Law, and ‘Best Student at York’
- Winner (jointly with mooting partner) of York College of Law GDL Mooting Competition
- College of Law (London) (now The University of Law), Bar Vocational Course (Very Competent)
- Lincoln’s Inn Lord Haldane Scholarship for Graduate Diploma in Law
- Lincoln’s Inn Hardwicke Scholarship
- Lincoln’s Inn Sir Thomas More Bursary for Bar Vocational Course
- Pegasus Scholar to European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg (May to July 2011)
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Trustee of Disability Law Service (since February 2018)
- Member of the panel of Chairmen of the Valuation Tribunal for England (since June 2017)
- Legally Qualified Chair for Police Misconduct Hearings (since January 2016), for the Police Crime Commissioners and Authorities of Thames Valley, Sussex, Kent, Hampshire and Surrey
- Volunteer Panel Member for Youth Offending Service, Referral Orders (since 2009); formerly at Southwark and now for Tri-borough YOS (Westminster, Hammersmith and Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea); trained in Youth Rehabilitation Orders and Restorative Justice
- Lincoln’s Inn
- South Eastern Circuit
- Criminal Bar Association
- Family Law Bar Association
- Education Law Association
- National Association of Legally Qualified Chairs for Police Misconduct Panels