Michael Vere-Hodge is a hugely experienced senior Silk with a reputation for combining a mastery of the detail with effective cross-examination. Over the years he has appeared in a wide variety of challenging cases acting both for the prosecution and defence. He is also a Silk accredited to undertake Public Access work.
Michael is an experience clay pigeon shot who has represented Great Britain as an individual and as a GBR team member on many occasions over 30 years. He has won several International medals across three disciplines and in 2015 he won his first individual World Championship.
Has advised on various Sports National Governing Bodies’ compliance with their Selection Criteria for Great Britain Teams and Olympic nominations. Also advisory work on their governance including disciplinary action to be taken following allegations of bad behaviour by members of GBR teams abroad.
- 2016 Represented a ‘whistleblower’ accused of misconduct by his member Association. Interpretation of Company Articles, Disciplinary Code and Human Rights Act. Direct Access.
- Advisory work on behalf of an athlete who wished to appeal against their non-selection for the 2012 Olympic Games. Appeal successful.
'His expertise includes homicide, serious sexual offences and firearms cases.'
Legal 500 2018/Regional Bar - Western Circuit, Crime – Leading Silks - Tier 1
‘Very experienced in prosecuting and defending across serious crime matters.’
Legal 500 2017/Regional Bar - Western Circuit, Crime – Leading Silks - Tier 1
- Winchester College
- Grenoble University
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Recorder authorised to try serious sexual offences
- Legal Assessor to the Nursing and Midwifery Council to 2016
- Legal Adviser to the General Dental Council to 2016
- Bencher of Gray’s Inn
- Member of the Western Circuit
- Criminal Bar Association
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association
- British Association for Sport and Law (BASL)
Michael Vere-Hodge QC is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
3PB Michael Vere-Hodge QC successfully prosecutes charity Science of the Soul in health and safety fatality
Michael Vere-Hodge QC, instructed by Central Bedfordshire Council, successfully prosecuted registered charity and spiritual organisation Science of the Soul. In...Read more