Matthew Wyard accepts instructions to represent and advise on family law issues in circumstances in which the Family Court is unable to assist. He has a particular expertise in the use of judicial review proceedings in this context, particular insofar as it concerns the rights of children. Additionally, he is a contributing editor to Clarke Hall and Morrison on Children.
He brings a working knowledge of Family Court Practice and Procedure to all such matters having undertaken part of his pupillage with a leading family law silk.
The types of family law related cases Matthew has been involved in include:
- Re G – successfully defended a local authority’s application to discharge the court’s wardship jurisdiction over an internationally abducted child in the Family Division;
- Re: CP – seeking an interim injunction in the Administrative Court to secure emergency accommodation pursuant to section 20 of the Children Act 1989;
- Re: C – advising on the use of public law remedies to secure appropriate educational provision and social care provision pursuant to section 17 of the Children Act 1989;
- Re: H – advising on a Special Guardianship support package and the use of judicial review to challenge the same.
He is always happy to have an initial chat with any family law solicitors looking to understand how public law proceedings can be utilised to assist their clients with problems for which Family Court proceedings are not appropriate.
10th Mar 2020
Matthew Wyard analyses Re: ACC &Ors  EWCOP 9, a case concerning the conflicts of interests that may arise where property and affairs deputies instruct a firm with which they are associated to carry out instructions for P, or to conduct litigation on P’s behalf.
- 2014: Called to the Bar (Lincoln’s Inn)
- 2012 – 2013: Postgraduate Diploma in Law, City Law School
- 2008 – 2012: LL.B (Hons)(SW) Law, University of Surrey
- Erasmus Scholarship
- Blackstone Chambers BPTC Mooting Competition, Semi finalist, 2013
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Chair of the Valuation Tribunal for England
- Member of the Welsh Government Public Law Scheme
- Member of the Attorney General’s Junior Junior Panel
- Bar Professional Training Course, City Law School, 2012 – 2013
- Lincoln's Inn, Member
Matthew Wyard is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
3PB identifies flaws in the draft Curriculum and Assessment (Wales) Bill
3PB’s specialist public law barrister Matthew Wyard has reviewed the draft Curriculum and Assessment (Wales) bill. The bill was introduced to the Senedd on 6 ...Read more
More judicial appointments for 3PB
3PB is delighted to announce that public law barrister Matthew Wyard has been appointed as a Chair of the Valuation Tribunal for England as of 22 June 2020. Mat...Read more
3PB reviews the law regulating novel foods and how to bring them into the UK market
3PB’s Public and Regulatory Law barrister Matthew Wyard has reviewed the law regulating novel food products in the UK, specifically how those supplying unlice...Read more