Mathew Gullick's commercial practice includes advice, drafting and advocacy in both the High Court and the County Court.
High Court instructions include several six-figure debt claims in the Commercial Court and the Mercantile Courts, a claim for indemnities and breaches of warranty under a share purchase agreement, and a dispute over the payment of royalties on a well-known product brand.
Mathew acted for the Defendant in E-Nik Ltd v Department for Communities and Local Government  EWHC 3027 (Comm),  2 All ER (Comm) 686, where he successfully argued that the minimum pricing provision in a contract for the provision of IT services was inclusive rather than exclusive of VAT.
He is also instructed on insolvency matters, both personal and corporate. Mathew has appeared in the High Court for the Secretary of State on several public interest winding-up petitions, and has also been instructed on behalf of the Official Receiver. He has also been instructed in partnership disputes and on business-related property matters, and has been involved in the successful mediation of commercial disputes.
In the County Court, Mathew has been instructed on numerous business disputes, including those in which the provisions of the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 have been cited, and on cases involving the enforcement of guarantees and indemnities.
Mathew’s analysis of the authorisation and disclosure provisions of the Companies Act 1985 relating to political donations was published in 2003.
He was appointed to the Attorney-General's A Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown in civil matters in September 2016.
- MA (Oxon)
- Dip Law (City)
- Mould Senior Scholarship (Gray's Inn, 2003)
- Phillips Senior Award (Gray's Inn, 2003)
- Birkenhead Junior Award (Gray's Inn, 2002)
- The Lee Essay Prize (Gray's Inn, 2003)
- First Prize, The Graham Turnbull Memorial International Human Rights Essay Competition (Law Society, 2003)
- First Prize, The Times Law Awards (2002)
- The City University Prize for Public Law (2002)
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Attorney-General's Junior Counsel to the Crown (A Panel)
- Constitutional and Administrative Law Bar Association (ALBA)
- Employment Law Bar Association (ELBA)
- Employment Lawyers Association
- London Common Law and Commercial Bar Association
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers' Association