Luke Nelson regularly represents both claimants and defendants on fast and small track personal injury claims in road traffic accidents, occupiers liability and employers liability disputes.
He has experience dealing with the following:
- Drafting written costs submissions
- Small claims track trials, including arguments on unreasonable behaviour costs under civil procedure rule 27.14
- Fast track trials
- Applications to set aside judgment
- Applications for relief from sanctions
- Applications for costs on discontinuance
- Applications for costs following re-allocation
- Infant or protected party approval hearings
- Stage 3 hearings.
Luke has also undertaken the following types of written work:
- Advice on quantum
- Drafting pleadings
- Advising on prospects of success
- Advising on appropriate Part 36 offers
- Drafting skeleton arguments.
Recent feedback on his personal injury work includes:
“We instructed Luke to represent our client with regard to a matter whereby the negligent driver's insurer refused to satisfy a Judgment under s.151 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. The opposition's stance was based on the fact they believed that they were not provided valid notice pursuant to s.152 of the same Act. Luke was honest and excelled at the hearing; acquiring us the result we wanted.” Senior paralegal, claimant solicitors
“Luke did an outstanding job for me in court this morning… real credit to chambers. I look forward to instructing him again in the future. Thank you for introducing him to me and the firm.” Partner, regional solicitors
‘Thank you for this morning. You made it easy for me to understand the process, and in agreeing the sensible items prior to the hearing, made it more straightforward.‘
Client, financial remedies proceedings
“Luke is an excellent communicator and builds a great rapport with clients. He has a professional and approachable manner, which places any client at ease in often difficult circumstances. Luke has been able to drill down the issues within a case and approach those in a methodical and academic manner which has resulted in a first class service and result for the client overall. ”
Eleanor Wood, Goughs Solicitors
"Luke Nelson approached our case with total dedication, incredible commitment, stunning professionalism and deep empathy for us.
He made all the difference. Not only to how we were feeling through it all, but in obtaining us the result we wanted.
In court, Luke was electric, hard-hitting and exceptionally clever in his cross-examination of the claimant. I can honestly say that he is a barrister who not only represents the highest legal standards, as one would hope for, but he also superbly represents & defends his client, to a level that was without doubt simply outstanding, and quite exceptional.
We will never be able to thank him enough."
Lay client in a contractual dispute
- University of Gloucestershire (2 year fast-track LLB) - First Class
- Provost’s Award For Excellence, University of Law, BPTC 2017
- Law Prize for Outstanding Achievement, University of Gloucestershire, 2017
- Finalist, Lincoln’s Inn Inter-Provider Mooting Competition, 2017
- Undergraduate Team Award, National Client Interviewing Competition, 2016
- Sir Thomas More Bursary, Lincoln’s Inn, 2016
- Neuberger Prize, Lincoln’s Inn, 2015
Professional qualifications & appointments
- University of Law (BPTC), Birmingham - Very Competent
- Lincoln’s Inn