Luke appears in cases involving serious and life changing injuries. He has represented parties in claims for fatal accidents, amputations, chronic pain syndromes, permanent physical injuries, serious scarring, psychological injuries and transmission of HIV. Luke’s experience extends to claims involving significant damages for loss of earnings and care which extend to several hundred thousand pounds or more.
Luke is experienced in a wide spectrum of cases including road traffic collisions, occupier’s liability, public liability and employer’s liability, including assaults at work
Luke’s experience includes not only multi-track trials but appeals, conferences with experts and interim hearings such as costs and case management hearings. Luke has substantial experience of providing written advice and pleadings, including large value schedules of loss and counter schedules which involve Ogden calculations. Luke’s advice is often sought at an early stage in relation to strategy and tactics.
Examples of cases include
- Acting for the Claimant in a chronic pain syndrome case involving seven experts, settled at £100,000.
- Acting for the Defendant in a serious knee injury case, settled at £130,000.
- Acting for the Claimant who suffered from a serious leg injury resulting in an ongoing need for care, settled at £80,000.
- Securing a favourable settlement for a Claimant with serious facial scarring and post concussional syndrome.
- Acted for the Claimant in a case involving knee replacement surgery, settled at £75,000.
- Acted for the Claimant in a case where the incident caused a fistula and use of a stoma.
- Securing settlement for a Claimant with an acceleration of dementia.
- Acting for the successful appellants concerning whether two personal injury claims were an abuse of process. The Court had to decide whether the definition of abuse was changed by the ‘Jackson reforms’.
Luke has written a number of articles, including publications in the Personal Injury Law Journal, District Judges Law Bulletin and the Personal Injury Brief Update Law Journal.
Luke is frequently instructed by some of the leading counter fraud teams in the country in cases involving allegations of fraud, fraud rings, exaggerated claims, staged and induced accidents, phantom passengers, low velocity impacts and fundamental dishonesty. He is adept at utilising intelligence from a variety of sources as well as surveillance evidence. He is a robust cross examiner.
Luke has a good knowledge of the impact of insurance in this arena, including matters of indemnity.
Examples of cases include:
- Acting for the Defendant. Secured a finding of fraud as the Claimant was found not to be in the vehicle at the time of the accident.
- Acting for the insurance company as a Second Defendant. Secured a finding of fundamental dishonesty where the Court found the injury claim brought by the Claimant was fabricated.
- Acting for the Defendant, secured discontinuance of a claim where CCTV gave rise to pleading of fraud.
Luke is well versed in all matters relating to credit hire litigation. He is highly sought after for his expertise, particularly in high value claims. His knowledge of authorities is extensive and has been described by the Court as encyclopaedic. His expertise extends to fleet claims as well as more unusual enforceability and contractual arguments.
Luke’s experience extends to costs litigation including detailed assessments, costs budgeting and more novel costs disputes. Cases include:
- Waring v McDonnell, a much publicised case concerning the impact of QOCS on counterclaims.
- Nicholls v The Ambassador Theatre Group. Luke acted for the successful respondent to the appeal concerning when it is reasonable for a Claimant to exit the PI Portal and escape the associated costs regime.
3PB's Personal Injury team provides legal update on Disclosure, Fraud, Fundamental Dishonesty and Contempt Proceedings
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Deputy District Judge (Civil)
- Fee-Paid Judge of the First-tier Tribunal (Social Entitlement Chamber)
- Pupil supervisor
- Bar Vocational Course (Very Competent)
- LLB - 2:1
- Personal Injuries Bar Association
- The Honourable Society of the Middle Temple
- Western Circuit
Luke Ashby is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
Four 3PB Barristers appointed as Deputy District Judges
National chambers 3PB Barristers – formerly 3 Paper Buildings – has seen four of its barristers appointed as Deputy District Judges in a single round of app...Read more
3PB’s Luke Ashby appointed as First Tier SEC Tribunal Judge
3PB’s personal injury barrister Luke Ashby has been appointed by the Senior President of Tribunals as a part-time Judge of the First-tier Tribunal (Social Ent...Read more
Personal Injury update published by 3PB
The Personal Injury team has published its latest update including the latest on the Commons amendments regarding the Civil Liability Bill as considered by the ...Read more