Public and Regulatory
Louis has a successful practice as an advocate and advisor with particular expertise and experience in Regulatory Law and associated litigation appearing both in disciplinary tribunals, in associated appeals to the Courts and in an actions between the regulated and their regulators.
His Regulatory Law practice includes defending and prosecution of regulatory crime. He has considerable experience in:
- Trading Standards Prosecutions – He acts for the Gloucestershire County Council and acts for and advises Defendants in offences relating to Trading Standards and offences on the internet in relation to marketing and supply
- Fishery and other nautical regulation – He prosecutes in cases of fishery offences and has prosecuted for the Port of London Authority in dangerous use of a speedboat
- Health and Safety Prosecutions – He defends in cases of fatal accident and injury as well as cases of COSHH liability and accidents in the workplace. He attends inquests arising from such incidents
- Permanent health insurance benefits claims
- Environmental prosecutions – He defends in cases arising from breach of Environmental Protection legislation and has acted in cases involving nuisance, fly tipping
- Planning and Tree preservation violations – He has defended in cases of destruction of a listed building, violation of planning consents and the cutting down of preserved trees
In Regulatory Proceedings he has considerable experience in:
- Sports regulation (please see his specialist Sports Law Profile)
- Prosecution of offences for the GMC and the HAC and has appeared and advised in relation to health care regulators
- Defending healthcare professionals before a wide range of regulatory panels including among others the HCPC, NMC and RCVS
- Police Disciplinary Tribunals – He has defended before the Hampshire Constabulary, Wiltshire Police and MPS
- Licensing – He has advised and acted before Licensing Authorities and on appeal in relation to premises and personal licensing applications and appeals.
His advocacy experience was developed as a criminal advocate, where he was a Grade 4 Prosecutor (Highest Category) before ceasing mainstream criminal work.
For the LSC
- R v Abu Hamza (in excess of £1 million)
- R v Terry Adams – Judicial Review proceedings in respect of orders made in excess of £4M.
- R v Basch and Katz (in excess of £0.75 million in Crown Court and on Judicial Review)
- R v Strachan – Claim for costs against the “Royal Blackmailer”
- R v Cushnie – Claim for costs arising from the Versaille Fraud.
He has lectured to GMC, the LSC and others on the Gambling Act 2005, disclosure and the RDCO regime.
'A highly experienced barrister practising across the London Bar and Western Circuit. He handles a range of clinical negligence claims including those relating to delayed diagnoses and cosmetic surgery. He also acts in cases concerning negligent veterinary treatment and veterinary products.'
Chambers UK 2017/Clinical Negligence - Western (Bar) - Band 2
'Manages a blossoming sports practice and has key knowledge of match-fixing cases. He receives instructions relating to snooker, motor racing and horse racing.
Strengths: "An excellent barrister in all respects. He is extremely bright and has a keen analytical mind." "He has a great sense of humour in front of panels, but he still takes the work seriously."'
Chambers UK 2017/Sport - London (Bar) - Band 1
'Well regarded by his peers as an analytical lawyer with a powerful court presence. He splits his practice between the London Bar and Western Circuit, and has experience in the complementary area of product liability including involvement in the recent PIP breast implant scandal. His expertise includes handling litigation related to veterinary negligence and defective veterinary products.
Strengths: "A larger than life character who is really impressive. He has the ability to digest years of litigation and filings into his brain very quickly." "A good overall barrister who is good on his feet."'
Chambers UK 2016/Clinical Negligence - Western (Bar) - Band 2
'Has a fantastic reputation for his strong regulatory and disciplinary work before the British Horseracing Authority and the Greyhound Board of Great Britain. He also undertakes doping and corruption cases across the world of sport.
Strengths: "He is extremely bright with a keen analytical mind. He is able to quickly identify the key issues in any dispute and communicate them in a clear manner."'
Chambers UK 2016/Sport - London (Bar) - Band 2
'...has represented governing bodies from horse racing and greyhound racing in connection with corruption and disciplinary matters. He has also acted on corruption and doping matters in athletics, snooker, football and rugby.
Expertise: "He's a natural advocate; very skilful and unflappable." "Advice from Louis Weston is like receiving advice from Zeus - you know it's right and if it's not then a fork of lightning will come down and make it right."'
Chambers UK 2015/Sports Law – London Bar
'Has established an interesting niche in veterinary surgery cases alongside his general clinical negligence caseload. He is chiefly noted in this area for his work on behalf of doctors, surgeons and other individual healthcare professionals.
Expertise: "He is extremely able and extremely effective in everything that he does - he never disappoints."'
Chambers UK 2015/Clinical negligence – Western Bar Band 2 Set
'A highly regarded junior, whose sports practice primarily centres on disputes in horse racing and greyhound racing. He is regularly instructed by the British Horseracing Authority on corruption, race fixing and riding offences.
Expertise: “He is incredibly bright and great to work with, and can turn his hand to anything.”'
Chambers UK 2014/Sports Law – London Bar
'...represents a wide range of clients, including doctors, veterinary surgeons and other healthcare workers. He is noted for his skill with misdiagnosis cases.
Expertise: “He is extremely down to earth and builds a good rapport with his clients.” “He has a medical background and is extraordinarily helpful. He is exactly the sort of counsel you want.”'
Chambers UK 2014/Clinical Negligence - Western (Bar)
'He has a good brain with excellent technical knowledge.'
Legal 500 2016/Regional Bar - Western Circuit, Regulatory, health and safety, and licensing – Leading juniors and also Personal injury and clinical negligence – Leading juniors
'He has a quirky way about him that clients like.'
Legal 500 2016/London Bar - Sport – Leading juniors
'A popular choice in sports-related disputes.'
Legal 500 2016/London Bar - Professional discipline and regulatory law (including police law) - Leading juniors
'He has expertise in health and safety, professional discipline and trading standards
Legal 500 2015/Regional Bar - Western Circuit, Regulatory, health and safety, and licensing – Leading juniors
'He is outstanding and has a very good understanding of the sports market.'
Legal 500 2015/London Bar - Sport – Leading juniors
'A popular choice in sports-related disputes.'
Legal 500 2015/London Bar - Professional discipline and regulatory law (including police law) - Leading juniors
'Quickly masters his brief. He is respected by all sides and a pleasure to work with.'
Legal 500 2014/London Bar.
‘quick-witted, experienced advocate and horseracing expert'
Legal 500 Directory 2013/14/London Bar - Media, Entertainment and Sport and also Professional discipline and regulatory law (including police law) - Leading Junior.
- Bristol University (Philosophy BA, First, Miller Barstow Prize).
Professional qualifications & appointments
- British Association for Sport and Law (BASL)
- Member of ARDL
Louis Weston is qualified to accept instructions directly from members of the public and professional clients under the Direct Public Access scheme.More Information
Head of Sports Louis Weston and Sports Barrister Gemma White call for sports-wide approach to sanctions for corruption offences
3PB head of sports Louis Weston and sports barrister Gemma White have written an article for LawInSport calling for a unified approach to sanctions for corrupti...Read more
Louis Weston acts for Patricia Annon in her successful appeal against NMC Conduct and Competence Committee decision
Louis Weston acted for Patricia Annon in her successful appeal against a decision of the NMC’s Conduct and Competence Committee to strike her from the Registe...Read more
Head of Sports Group Louis Weston acts in series of high profile prosecutions for the WPBSA, the Turf Club, GBGB and the BHA
Louis Weston, head of the Sports Group, had a busy July acting for the WPBSA in the prosecution of former world number 2, Stuart Bingham (judgment reserved), th...Read more