Public and Regulatory
Jonathan prosecutes for a range of Borough, City and County Councils, Regulatory Bodies and Trading Standards Units. This detailed knowledge and expertise is invaluable in his robust defence of private individuals and companies; most notably where such cases fall outside of traditional criminal practice. He has particular expertise in:
- Trading Standards
- Consumer Protection (incl. Trademarks and Product Safety)
- Food Safety and Hygiene
- Environmental Protection
- Housing Enforcement
- Local Authority Enforcement
- HB v. A (2018/19) – Multi-Property Planning Enforcement and Environmental Breach Prosecution, leading to PoCA application valued at circ. £300,000.
- HB v. M and A (2019) – Advertising and Planning enforcement Appeal against conviction and sentence.
- PCC v. K (2018) – Long term parking fraud concerning fraudulent parking permits and mis-use of “blue badges”.
- HB v. T (2018) – Multi Defendant Fly-Tipping Prosecution against both individuals and limited companies.
- Grenfell Inquiry (2018) – Instructed to assist Local Authority in preparation for the inquiry.
- HB v. MK (2018) – Multiple outlet breach of smoking ban prosecution – legal argument as to proper application of statute.
- HB v. A (2018) – Multi Defendant, Multiple breaches of Improvement notices over significant periods of time effecting multiple tenants and requiring Local Authority involvement.
- LBH v. K (2018) – Persistent and escalating breach of environmental legislation pertaining to fast food and animal waste in central London.
- R v. X (2017) – Instructed for the Defence in food hygiene case involving breaches of European and Domestic regulation.
- Operation ‘Foxchase’ – Instructed as led Junior in a complex national secondary ticketing trading standards case.
- Operation ‘Hugo’ – Trading Standards case involving importation of farmed puppies, featured on BBC programming.
- Operation ‘Wendelin’ – Multi handed Trading standards prosecution of rouge traders involving 15 complainants.
- R(BDBC) v. FF and Ors – Multi handed Food safety case involving multiple breaches of Regulatory provisions, hygiene improvement and prohibition orders.
- R (SCC) v. K – Education case involving argument re: Isle of Wight v Platt  UKSC.
- R v. S – Trading Standards prosecution against persistent street peddler.
- R v. M – Trading standard prosecution involving Trademark offences against the Premier League, British Legion and Help for Heroes.
- R v. A – Trading standards Prosecution involving several thousand pounds of counterfeit tobacco.
“I would not hesitate in instructing Mr Jonathan Underhill in all manner of Regulatory matters. He has an almost encyclopaedic knowledge in all key regulatory areas, including Environmental, Licensing, Housing and Planning offences. His preparation is meticulous with close attention to detail. He is extremely approachable and is great at communicating to a wide range of clients, which has always led to positive feedback and requests to instruct him in future matters. He has an amazing ability to advocate complex issues in law, in a way that is easy to understand for Magistrates, Jurors and Judges. His Advocacy is simply exceptional. He is and will continue to be my first choice of Counsel.”
C Smith – Criminal Litigation Lawyer (London Local Authority)
“I am indebted to Mr Jonathan Underhill…for his realistic and concise submissions… Mr Underhill was utterly realistic in his submissions to this court, which he advanced with commendable brevity and good sense”.
HHJ Jeremy Richardson QC – In the High Court
“I was very impressed with Jonathan Underhill – and he had a glowing report from our environmental health manager for his advocacy at the recent noise trial he did for us”.
Local Authority Solicitor
“I would not hesitate in instructing Mr Underhill – cases are always thoroughly prepared, time and care taken with clients and outcomes reported back promptly. The client feedback has been excellent and often accompanies with a request that he represent them again. The quality of his representation is first class.”
Lindsey Taylor (Solicitor) - Watkins and Gunn Solicitors
“I have found Mr Underhill to be an excellent advocate who is always well prepared and courteous to all. I have had positive feedback from clients in cases he had conducted on my firm’s behalf. I would not hesitate to instruct him.”
Paul Lewis (Partner) - Quality Solicitors HPJV
"Very clearly presented - a dry subject made interesting. Very useful info. Excellent trainer".
Nikki Hutt, West Sussex County Council
"Very informative, clear, concise but with a level of relaxed delivery and humour. I enjoyed Jonathan's 'style'."
Dee Plum, West Sussex County Council
“I was very impressed with Jonathan Underhill and he had a glowing report from our environmental health manager for his advocacy at the recent noise trial he did for us.”
Local Authority Solicitor
- BVC (Graded Outstanding) – Cardiff University Law School
- Inner Temple Prize Winner – Outstanding Achievement
- LLB (Hons) Law & Politics – Cardiff University Law School
Professional qualifications & appointments
- Level 3 – CPS Panel Advocate
- Level 2 – CPS Specialist Panel Advocate – Proceeds of Crime Panel
- Serious Fraud Office Review Panel
- Western Circuit
- Criminal Bar Association
- Young Fraud Lawyers Association
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers Association
- Private Prosecutors Association
3PB's Jonathan Underhill secures suspended sentence in prosecution under Trade Marks Act 1994
3PB Barristers’ Jonathan Underhill was instructed to represent the first defendant in a case brought by Isle Of Wight Council Trading Standards. The case invo...Read more
3PB Barrister Jonathan Underhill instructed on behalf of international clients in application for account freezing order
3PB Barrister Jonathan Underhill was instructed by non-domiciled UK residents to draft urgent application papers and provide representation for third party inte...Read more
Successful Prosecution of unlicensed HMO in central London
Specialist criminal and regulatory barrister, Jonathan Underhill acting on behalf the local London Borough was successful after a fully contested trial on the i...Read more